Wired computer cannot connect but wireless devices can
needtechhelp1

I just spent nearly 2 hours being bounced around the Verizon customer support system via online chat and phone, ending with the offer to charge me $89.99 for a one time connection to tech support. Maybe someone out there can help.

The desktop computer connected via ethernet cable to the Actiontec GT704WGB modem/router will not connect to the internet. This started suddenly and was not preceded by any power outage, etc. Cable has been tested and is fine. Obvious things like restarting computer and router have been done.

However, the wireless network in the household seems to be working just fine. A laptop and tablet will all happily connect to the internet...as long as the modem and desktop computer remain connected by ethernet cable.

So can someone explain to me how a desktop computer wired to the router can successfully support a wireless home network and yet not connect itself? 

Any suggestions or explanations would be helpful.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wired computer cannot connect but wireless devices can
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

There are a few possibilities. The ethernet ports on the Actiontec are damaged. The ethernet cord is damaged. The NIC card in your computer is damaged or the settings in the Actiontec or computer have changed somehow.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

There are a few possibilities. The ethernet ports on the Actiontec are damaged. The ethernet cord is damaged. The NIC card in your computer is damaged or the settings in the Actiontec or computer have changed somehow.

0 Likes
fizbo

If the router has more than one port, try each of them.  It sounds dumb, but when I got a second computer I went round and round and finally plugged into a difft. port and it worked.

0 Likes