Wireless DSL Modems
Dcb5739
Enthusiast - Level 3

How long do Wireless DSL Modems last . I have a wesyell 327 w that is over 5  years old, my speed has been off lately and I was wondering if it was just the modem burning out

I have run every concievable test for viruses and malware, the computer is clean the had drive has lots of space and the browser settings are already tweked

Re: Wireless DSL Modems
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
'Wireless Gateways can last for years. What makes you sure that the 327w may be on it's way out though? If you can describe the slow-down a little more in detail, we can see what might be going on and what is exactly to blame.
Dcb5739
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just based on age I wanted to rule out a hardware issue before I drove myself nuts. From looking at the forums today slow soeeds and intermitting connections seem to very common and widespread

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
It has unfortunately become very common these past few years. For those fortunate enough to still have good service, I hope it keeps up. Otherwise, it's hoping FiOS will show up sometime soon (I've been waiting 5 years for it. Still not here and we're running our DSL maxed out all the time now. It doesn't help that we have a network of 28 devices and counting) or it's time to jump ship. Anyhow, in terms of the slow speeds you are having, is it all the time or is it only during certain times of the day, such as during the evening hours? Does a slow-down usually occur after the Internet stops working for a few seconds all together?
Dcb5739
Enthusiast - Level 3

It just started last evening. When it foes out altogether it last 3 to 5 minutes

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Alrighty. Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and then choose System Monitoring. Pick Advanced Monitors from the left hand side Navigation, and then choose System Logging. Choose "All" from the Drop-Down menu, and then post up the contents of the log that you see, either via Pastebin.com or through Copy and Paste.

Should you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Dcb5739
Enthusiast - Level 3

Getting  inconsistant speed test reults regardless of tes site, speed hangs in the 1.3 rahge then the last 5 seconds of the test it spiked to 35.9 to 49.2

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
That could be from a number of things. Besides seeing the logs, visiting this site (http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html) and posting up the contents you see (mask the IP address on the final hop, we don't need that floating around here) would also be helpful.
Dcb5739
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
Dcb5739
Enthusiast - Level 3

The giganews wont let me copy / paste though

0 Likes