Wireless LAN
geronimo

I became a Verizon client back in 2004. I was issued a Westell model 2200 wired modem/router as part of my internet installation kit. In the very near future, I will have a second PC., and I want to setup a wireless LAN. Can I purchase any wireless router kit, or is there only a specific brand of a wireles router kit that will alllow internet access through Verizon?

0 Likes
Re: Wireless LAN
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 You should be able to use any RJ-45 WAN port router that you want to use.

Be advised your modem is not just a modem, there is a built in router.

Points you to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 If you have questions on how to get the modem into bridge mode, it would help to know if you use the White and Blue OR the Red and Black Firmware.

Then we can go from there..

yobbgsm
Enthusiast - Level 1

your modem is to old, and not capable of wireless, try to call verizon sales dept, and order a westell 7500 modem/router. this model is capable of wirless and its easy to setup.  I recommend you to buy at verizon because you can have alll the support with regards of your equipment, unlike you buy to a third party store which will find you difficulty to setup.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's nothing wrong with his modem. A 2200 is still a perfectly good modem to use, as long as it isn't failing or he's getting speeds higher than 8Mbps/800Kbps. The only thing he needs to do is purchase a Wireless router, bridge the 2200 and set up his router to use PPPoE.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Far easier to get a new router and configure it as a different subnet to whatever the 2200 is using and then connect the 2200 to the wan port of the router.  No bridging no ppoe no mucking about with current settings on the 2200.  Would suggest if you do this that you define the new router with a static address on the 2200 subnet.

0 Likes
unhappier1
Enthusiast - Level 3

whatever you do, "don't' upgrade to high speed internet. while the Actiontec modem is probably a fine piece of equipment, my Westell B90 (really old) gave me "zero problems" and I have been plagued with problems on a daily basis since my upgrade.

I used the B90 and bought a Cisco router for my wireless needs and everything was great, but I upgraded and my life has not been the same since.

0 Likes