Wireless Router
colonelk1

Is there a stronger wireless router available than the westell 327w?  I have a 54 foot long house with thick walls and two floors and several  computers.  I can't get uniform signal strength through out the house. Privacy  is not an issue as I am at least 200 yards from the nearest public road or neighbor.

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You can purchase any N router, and link it with your DSL router, and get better range.   Verizon Does not provide an N class Wireless router, so any router you get from them, is unlikely to give you better range. 

For 40 bux, this is a great solution.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

You can purchase any N router, and link it with your DSL router, and get better range.   Verizon Does not provide an N class Wireless router, so any router you get from them, is unlikely to give you better range. 

For 40 bux, this is a great solution.

I agree.

To OP: If you follow the advise above, I would suggest that you follow

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

If you (the OP) have any questions about it, please ask.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's expected for a wireless connection to not get uniform range throughout a home, though that is something that can be expected by nature of a wireless connection. It all depends on what it has to go through, how the signal is traveling (is it bending? Going through thick concrete walls?) and also based on computer and router/antenna orientations (Is the router in the basement or is it on the first floor?).

A router supporting Diversity and MIMO, both of which Wireless N routers do support should give you better range and speed compared to your current router. As far as I know, the Westell 327w doesn't have an internal antenna strip, instead only having a single antenna coming out of the back of it which doesn't exactly help with range and speed. Some newer routers Verizon sells do have better range and speed due to antenna design, though there's always something left to be desired. The TRENDNet linked above should work fine.