Wireless modem problems since day one
modemdoldrum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was provided with a Verizon DSL2750B wireless modem for my high speed internet service. Since install, I have had to reboot the modem one, two and sometimes three times a day to restore internet access. Once I reboot the modem, all my services are fine, so it is not a signal problem, it is just a junk modem. The last time I had a Verizon service person at my house (at least 3 times a year for loss of service) he said "I have never seen this modem before". I have on many ocassions offered to purchase a better modem. I have always been told that, no, no, we will give you one (like they are doing me a favor...). How about giving me one that works consistently? Is this the best I can expect from Verizon?? 

0 Likes
Re: Wireless modem problems since day one
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I'm not too familiar with the quirks that the D-Link modems have, signal problems can and do cause the problem you're talking about. Get Verizon to troubleshoot this as a signal issue, not a modem issue. If another modem can't say what the problem is, they're not troubleshooting the right way.

0 Likes
texascat221
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the exact same problem with the same modem. I did order a Actiontec GT748WN that should arrive on Wednesday. Hopefully that will solve my problem and will gladly post the results.

I didn't have any problems with my first Actiontec, only after it died and I was sent the D Link 2750. I have to reboot mine at least three times a day. Even after a tech came out to fix my DSL connection that was tripped by another Verizon tech out on the highway in front of our subdivision. 

0 Likes
docmatt1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in the middle of this same problem. The 2750b modem has been requiring a reset multiple times daily in order to keep connected. Is this just a junk modem? I am perfectly happy to buy my own modem if Verizon can help me set it up.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, you may or may not like this.

#1 First things first: I point to and quote from "http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28666153

There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.

#2 Advice: Get your own RJ-45 WAN port router and put the modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them.

0 Likes