Wireless works wired does not
Dcb5739
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wireless works wired does not

Westell 327W 7 years old

My wiress connection with a Vista laptop wors fine fine, but the other computers

with XP cannot connect via wired ethernet

Basically I think the router unit is on the way out, but am looking for suggestions

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Wireless works wired does not
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If rebooting the router (unplugging it's power cord for 10 seconds) does not fix this try doing a factory reset on it. That is done by holding in the reset button in the back for 15 seconds. If multiple computers are still unable to connect wired and the wireless is still working, you are looking at a likely bad router issues.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like a dead switch to me on the 327w, but you could always check by plugging the Vista machine in to see if it will operate on any 4 of the ports. Doubt it will. At that point, you could go out and purchase any decent Wireless Gateway or have Verizon send out a Westell 7500 to you.

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

A 7 year old 327W may very well be fried.  Here is one thing you can try before giving up.

Crank up your browser, and ignore any errors you get about not obtaining an internet connection.

Type the following into the address box at the top of the browser screen:  http://dslrouter

If the next thing that comes up is a command interface for the 327W administrative functions,  then the ethernet link is working just fine.  If not, focus on a broken ethernet link.  If the ethernet link is working ok,  the next thing to figure out is how windows expects to connect via the 327W to the internet.  The connection parameters may be set for dial-up, or for connection via something other than a 327W. 

Managing default connection parameters is all done in the Windows control panel.  I've forgotten the details.

0 Likes