anyone have Info on what modems are offered for dsl
mamaof2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi-

I was told by the tech who came to my house that they are upgrading the system and I might want to think about getting a new modem and router. I have the old modem which we originally got when we first got dsl. Of course now you have to pay for it. Which is a bunch of bull because if they are switching over to a new system then they should send me a new modem but whatever you dont get anything for nothing these days.

Anyway, I was trying to find out what modems they offer and how much they are, their online chat rep sent me a website which sent me to add or change my features and of course I could change to fios which I dont want to do.

Does anyone have any idea where I can found out what modems they have any suggestions to which ones are better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: anyone have Info on what modems are offered for dsl
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your ActionTec is still a good modem to use, so I wouldn't just go retire it simply because it isn't supported in my opinion. If any problems do arise, many of them can be solved through some Googling or fixing up of settings in http://192.168.1.1/ . If Verizon tells you that the modem is too old to support, then sure you can probably go out and buy a supported modem, or Verizon will send one without charge. Hopefully it continues to run well for several more years, at which time Verizon will surely retire DSL in favor of FiOS if it's available to you, and at least offer you a FiOS package (perhaps 5Mbps/2Mbps or the current 3Mbps/1Mbps) for less than the cost of DSL.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does anyone have any idea where I can found out what modems they have any suggestions to which ones are better would be greatly appreciated.

First things first.

#1 Better than what:

a) Better than what you have now, for example.

b) OR better in terms of features?

c) OR better in terms of speed?

?

#2 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#3 What is the brand and model of your router?

#4 What is the reason that they suggested getting a new modem and router?

#4 What kind of issues are you expericing:

a) Slow speed

b) Want to know if you can get  faster speeds

???

0 Likes
mamaof2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the old westell 2200 and am using a linksys router , tech told me that they are phasing out the older modems as they are upgrading the system and that I should get a new modem which will handle the new upgrades, I was getting intermittent and no internet service, called their support  first they had me bridge the modem, that seemed to help the problem 2 days later I again had no intermittent or no internet service, they told me they did line test and there was a problem on the line, I took it upon myself to change the wire going from the phone jack to the modem, and have had internet since, but they did tell me that though there line test should no outages, they still saw some issue, so the tech came today and said the line is getting correct speed so it could be the modem is old and on its way out. suggested a new modem, when I called them to inquire about the modems I could not get any info from them I just want to read some reviews on their modems before I get another one, since I have to pay for it, I might even just go buy my own but I want to see what others have to say about them.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon hands out Westell 6100 modem/router combos, Westell 7500 Wireless modem/router combination units, and ActionTec GT704WG Wireless Modem/Router combination units. You don't specifically have to use any of their offered modems; all you really need to do is purchase any ADSL2+ modem and configure it to work with the service, which really would involve using either a bridged ADSL2+ modem or bridging an ADSL2+ modem to work with your Linksys. Verizon won't provide support for it, which is really the only downside of using a modem not from them, but there isn't really a whole lot that can go wrong on your end in regards to the physical connection.

Do you know what package you are subscribed to? We can at least see if the speed is coming in as it should.

0 Likes
mamaof2
Enthusiast - Level 2

HI thanks for answering, I have the actiontec 704wg and the tech told me that would be phased out as well. Sorry I am not quite sure how I would find out what package I have (not really savvy on that kind of stuff) If you can tell me how to find that out I would be glad to post it.

I see in Bestbuy and a few other stores they sell modems that have the verizon logo on them, If I got one of them instead of ordering from Verizon, would they support them?  sorry if some of my questions sound stupid, but appreciate the help

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your ActionTec is still a good modem to use, so I wouldn't just go retire it simply because it isn't supported in my opinion. If any problems do arise, many of them can be solved through some Googling or fixing up of settings in http://192.168.1.1/ . If Verizon tells you that the modem is too old to support, then sure you can probably go out and buy a supported modem, or Verizon will send one without charge. Hopefully it continues to run well for several more years, at which time Verizon will surely retire DSL in favor of FiOS if it's available to you, and at least offer you a FiOS package (perhaps 5Mbps/2Mbps or the current 3Mbps/1Mbps) for less than the cost of DSL.

0 Likes
voyager61
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smiley Very HappyI am still using my westell 6100,no problems,except the occasional

off-line flag on the taskbar,usually happenson weekends,15-60 mins. Remember,

no gaurantee to reliability of service. As in heavy internet usage,weather etc.

mamaof2
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ smith 6612 thanks for your input, though I was told I would have to pay for another modem from verizon, that they dont give them free anymore. But the actiontec is working fine got it up and running,

Thanks to those who gave input

Re: anyone have Info on what Router are offered for VZ DSL ADSL2+
jrick53

I have VZ DSL ADSL2+ modem connected to PC Ethernet (WITH USB not used)  -> PC(5y old) Xp pro 3sp would like to set up (network) wireless, wifi, TV, HP printer deskjet 3056a, iphone 4s. Any recommendations like Netgear n300 

Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (WNR3500L) ? How to connect and config?

I just do not know how to do this. Please help. John

0 Likes