constant wan ip address changes / internect connectivty goes down
zakzebrowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

I'm having issues with my dsl connection.  I've contacted verizon support, but they just tell me to "reboot the router", after which, the connection works for ~ 5-30 minutes and then it stops again.  As this is normally a constantly on connection, and I've had months where I have not had an issue, I don't think it's anything that I did to cause the issue.  At this point, I'm having trouble downloading podcasts.

When I go to my network, I sometimes see my ppp connection is in "disconencting" state.  Other times it's just "down".  I then need to either set it manually to up, or if I can't, reboot the modem.  As I was typing this message, the connection went down. 

This has been happening for about a week, and I'm getting very discouraged.

When this is happening, I have issues connecting to 192.168.1.1.

What's the best way to diagnose what's happening?

Thank you
Zak

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: constant wan ip address changes / internect connectivty goes down
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you may have a similiar situation to this gentleman "westell 7500 doesn't auto-connect ppp"

His solution came here

OR 

you may have a router that is starting to go bad. 

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

you may have a similiar situation to this gentleman "westell 7500 doesn't auto-connect ppp"

His solution came here

OR 

you may have a router that is starting to go bad. 

zakzebrowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

It looks like the modem failed.  I went to office depot and got a new one and magically everything is more stable... 🙂

Thanks for the advice.

Zak

kamie1
Enthusiast - Level 1

did the modem fail suddenly?  I think mine is starting to fail, i have the same type of issues you were having, limited connectivity to even the internal IP, via wireless or wired connection.

Re: constant wan IP address changes / internet connectivity goes down
cbwoodstock91
Contributor - Level 1

Dear DSL subscribers,

One thing that we need to take in count is the wan IP address commonly call public IP and is provided by your ISP

(Internet service provider) in this case is Verizon,this IP is changing every time because is a normal process that the central

office does in order to refresh the ip's.

Example one day you have an IP 78.23.34.125 Then in two days you have 78.23.34.16 just change the last digits of you IP

Otherwise if you want to have a Static IP, you need to open a Business account, Verizon will provided a range of ip's that you can

use just for you.

The residential equipment like modems, routers or combined(modem/router)it wont last for life, depend of the inside electronic

components. These components are affected by the energy outages,then they have low performance until the product is not

responding correctly or wont save network settings or maybe don't turn on anymore .

Another tip is don't set the modem in the carpet, the modem get static and produce malfunction on it, for example lost of

connection, (DSL light starts flashing)

for the other hand you may need to check you PC system and optimized the browser to avoid problems accessing websites

or devices like your modem or others.

zakzebrowski
Enthusiast - Level 2

Re point 1 - yes, bu the ip address shouldn't change every 10 minutes, from x.x.57.147 to x.x.100.74 to x.x.128.32

eg:

03-27-2011 16:53:49 - IP Changed from [70.108.100.74] to [70.108.128.32]
03-27-2011 16:53:49 - DNS update issued: User: zakz, Hosts: zakz.dyndns-ip.com, IP: 70.108.128.32
03-27-2011 16:53:49 - zakz.dyndns-ip.com: good - Host updated.
03-27-2011 17:03:49 - Unable to determine WAN IP.  Can't update.
03-27-2011 17:33:49 - IP Changed from [70.108.128.32] to [70.108.108.64]
03-27-2011 17:33:49 - DNS update issued: User: zakz, Hosts: zakz.dyndns-ip.com, IP: 70.108.108.64
03-27-2011 17:33:49 - zakz.dyndns-ip.com: good - Host updated.
03-27-2011 17:44:01 - Unable to determine WAN IP.  Can't update.

03-27-2011 18:24:13 - IP Changed from [70.108.108.64] to [70.108.62.18]

0 Likes
reverends

I have been having the same problem, and have so far failed to gain any assistance whatsoever. In my case, the IP changes even more frequently when it rains; in the last two days of rainy weather, my IP changed over fifty times in one night alone! As someone who works from home and is dependent on VOIP usage, this is causing me no end of headaches, and the best advice I get is to reset my router. Now, considering that the problem is obviously weather sensitive, can we safely assume that my router and DSL filters aren't the problem?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@reverends wrote:

I have been having the same problem, and have so far failed to gain any assistance whatsoever. In my case, the IP changes even more frequently when it rains; in the last two days of rainy weather, my IP changed over fifty times in one night alone! As someone who works from home and is dependent on VOIP usage, this is causing me no end of headaches, and the best advice I get is to reset my router. Now, considering that the problem is obviously weather sensitive, can we safely assume that my router and DSL filters aren't the problem?

Weather Sensitive = 95% chance it's Verizon's problem to figure out. Give them a call from a mobile phone the next time your line acts up during bad weather and let them run some tests. They should fail and dispatch a tech to check the copper out. Now if they turn the speed down, that's not a fix unless the problem is due to a marginal line in the first place. Transceiver Statistics help if you can provide them from your modem. Tell us what modem you have if you don't know how to get them.

0 Likes
3-day-IP

Even though they are in fact called dynamic, there is absolutely no reason it should be changing every few days, weeks for even months etc. You also shouldn't need to request business service so your WAN IP doesn't change every 48 hours.

It's far more detrimental than achieving some measure of safety. You can safeguard-your network, but obliterates productivity while workout home (Esp if you have a job that requires accessing or hosting applications, other networks etc. 

Prior to this I had fios for 3 years, my WAN changed once. Before that Comcast 4 years, changed once (still wouldn't recommend them under any circumstances). 

Not sure when this practive started but even with the great speeds, affordable pricing- makes it useless (for me at least). 

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes