downloads on dsl one tenth connection speeds
noise_maker

ive had their dsl for many years and after complaining about the download speed their regular speeds picked up acouple hundred kbs on speed tests and actual kilobytes a second now show nearer the speeds expected for my package but any file downloading reguardless of the os and pc or any other variable, is only a tenth of the speed that i am actualy geting while doing anything else like browsing and online streams or speed tests . this proves something is wrong with the file downloading on my service but they wont fix it. they sent their guy out and did the usual messing with copper conections and running speed tests witch dont show the problem but they didnt download a file as i told them to do so they didnt see the problem i told them about. So they wraped up the complaint as resolved but it remains. 

0 Likes
Re: downloads on dsl one tenth connection speeds
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you share a screenshot of a speed test versus a file download? Please make sure that there is no identifiable information, such as an IP address, in the screenshot.

0 Likes
noise_maker

imageall files download at this speed regaurdless of os or pc used or modem settingsimageabove average test result actual down speed is more like 700kb down 300kb up in real usage demonstraited in streaming. this proves file downloads should be faster.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks. Those speeds are suggestive of your DSL line being on the "Up to 1Mbps" plan. Are you paying for the HSI Enhanced package or no?

0 Likes
noise_maker

basic 1mb plan i beleive over phone line

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay, that lines up with the speeds then. You're getting what you're paying for if you're on the basic 1Mbps plan.

What's probably happening here is a combination of a few items. First, confusing bits from bytes. There are 8 bits to a byte, and Internet providers typically sell Internet packages in bits, rather than Bytes. The notation for bits is "Mbps" or "Kbps" whereas it is common to see Bytes as "MBps" or "mBps" or "MB/s." Base 10 notation is used to describe how many "bytes" or "bits" will create a "megabyte" or a "megabit." With that said, 1Mbps (One Megabit) is equal to 1000Kbps (One Thousand Kilobits). And if we convert that into Bytes, 1000Kbps would be equal to 125 Kilobytes a second. The DSL may achieve more or less than that due to overprovisioning and due to overhead associated with varios protocols used to deliver the data to and from your computer device. 

The second aspect probably boils down to how large content and software is getting. 1Mbps worked out nicely when software packages used to be at max, 700MB in size and video was commonly 240p or 360p on the Internet. Not so much now that an operating system can be around 4-6GB in size (macOS and Windows) or 1.2GB (a modern Linux distribution). Even cell phones now use operating system images which are 2-3GB, which can take hours to download at 1Mbps.

0 Likes
noise_maker

Download conection 901 kbps

download binary file 113 kb/s

upload connection speed 347 kbps

upload binary file transfer speed 42 kb/s  actual transfers should reach near connection speeds. the other speed tests were flash based this is html5 based. image

0 Likes