Switch Account

dwindling high speed internet speeds on 7.1mbps turbo bundle.

dwindling high speed internet speeds on 7.1mbps turbo bundle.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor mdizle
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 22
(14,997 Views)

I recently upgraded from 3mbps to 7.1mbps and was impressed with the 600 kb/s downlaod speed until i used it for about two hours. It seems fine at 5:00 but then after using the internet for a while it slowly gets slower and slower until about 2 hours later i get about 120 Kb/s tops. Thats even slower then my old plan.  The speeds dont get back to normal until the next day, but the speeds never last long.  I do run speed tests to check and they always show a dramatic difference about 2 hours later from when i start using the internet at about 5:00. Is there any fix to this? It is very agitating to get slower speeds then before i upgraded.

21 REPLIES 21
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 22
(14,898 Views)

#1 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#2 What is the brand and model of your router?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Copper Contributor
Message 3 of 22
(14,856 Views)

modem: WESTELL B90-210015-04 REV: E

Router: BELKIN F5D7230-4 Version 100

Firewall: none?

Copper Contributor
Message 4 of 22
(14,804 Views)

Could it be because ive only had it for about 3 days now? or maybe neighbors are on?

Contributor Scruffy
Contributor
Message 5 of 22
(14,814 Views)

Interesting that you say that.   When I speed test my DSL I get around 750 Kbps using Verizon speed testing and other vendors.  When I download an 1.5 hour movie ....it takes approx. 18 hours !  I almost dont even care about this ...all I need is to get a connection when I need it instead of when DSL decides to work. (see posting below re. Westell 6100 modem.) Good luck you will need as I have not had any with Verizon.

Copper Contributor
Message 6 of 22
(14,771 Views)

sounds like you have it worse than me... what are you using to download the movie?

Platinum Contributor III
Message 7 of 22
(14,743 Views)

#1 We will deal with getting something called the modem status soon (as need be).

b) To get them when I (or someone else) request them, follow the FAQ that I am pointing you to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

#2 In your F5D7230-4, go to Channel and SSID.

#3 Is Wireless enabled in the router?

#4 In your F5D7230-4, go to Security or Encryption. Depending on what, the screens of your F5D7230-4 looks like..

example a) http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7230-4v7.01/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

example b) OR http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7230-4/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

#5 Is any Securty Or Encryption enabled (Two examples of that: WEP/WPA)?

#6 In your router, go to System Settings.

#7 If you do not have at least two game consoles behind this router, make sure that UPnP is turned off.

By two game consoles, I mean any two. Two examples of what a Game console is, would be Xbox, PlayStation.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Copper Contributor
Message 8 of 22
(14,731 Views)

3) yes

4) example b

5) there is 64 bit wep

7) UPnP is disabled but i have a game console and i use my computer for games.

Platinum Contributor III
Message 9 of 22
(14,691 Views)

Ok.

#1 Follow the FAQ that I pointed you to earlier, and post the modem stats/status.

#2 Also, please be aware that WEP has been so badly hacked. It will take someone 1 to 2 minutes, to break in.

b) Please consider going to a higher wireless security level (such as WPA).

Copper Contributor
Message 10 of 22
(14,672 Views)

I have not been able to get the diagnostic program to work.  I tried plugging the modem directly into my laptop.  Also thank you for the security tip.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.