extremely slow download speeds with DSL
mewigmore

Just to preface this post:  I'm in the Navy and am trying to get my Mom set up with Netflix.  Unfortunately she lives in an area where they can not upgrade her DSL past High Speed Internet. 

Smith! I'm calling you out...you seem very helpful on this forum!

Please help me see if I can do anything on my end to get her DSL up to netflix streaming speeds.  I'm not sure all what information you need so let me know and I'll post it

0 Likes
Re: extremely slow download speeds with DSL
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Have her visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and give you the Traceroute the page shows. Then if you wish, please post it.. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with her IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

#2 Can she provide the Transceiver Statistics from this modem, you?

If she don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of this modem?

b) If she have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

#3 Even she you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from her modem and you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem: What is the brand and model of that RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
Re: extremely slow download speeds with DSL
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mewigmore wrote:

Just to preface this post:  I'm in the Navy and am trying to get my Mom set up with Netflix.  Unfortunately she lives in an area where they can not upgrade her DSL past High Speed Internet. 

Smith! I'm calling you out...you seem very helpful on this forum!

Please help me see if I can do anything on my end to get her DSL up to netflix streaming speeds.  I'm not sure all what information you need so let me know and I'll post it

Hi.

If you could get the Transceiver Statistics from her modem, we can see if there is any more room for additional speed and what else there is to do to the line to improve it for Netflix Streaming. A speed test accompanied with the Giganews trace provided by DSLR above would be awesome. If you need help finding the Statistics, try a web search for the modem model number and you should find something around. If not, just ask here 🙂

0 Likes