hooking up more than one computer to the verizon modem

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

hooking up more than one computer to the verizon modem

Message 1 of 5
(1,084 Views)

I have a verizon modem that has 4 ethernet out connections. I am only using one of them now. Can I connect another computer to one of the other three and get on the net?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Re: hooking up more than one computer to the verizon modem

Message 2 of 5
(1,080 Views)

@ruby125 wrote:

I have a verizon modem [sic] that has 4 ethernet out connections. I am only using one of them now. Can I connect another computer to one of the other three and get on the net?

I suspect you are referring to a Verizon router instead of a modem.  A modem will not generally have 4 Ethernet outputs.  To answer your question, just plug in a standard Ethernet cable from one of the "LAN" ports on the router to the computer, and you will be good to go.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV

Message 2 of 5
(1,081 Views)

@ruby125 wrote:

I have a verizon modem [sic] that has 4 ethernet out connections. I am only using one of them now. Can I connect another computer to one of the other three and get on the net?

I suspect you are referring to a Verizon router instead of a modem.  A modem will not generally have 4 Ethernet outputs.  To answer your question, just plug in a standard Ethernet cable from one of the "LAN" ports on the router to the computer, and you will be good to go.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 3 of 5
(1,067 Views)
Yes, you can hook up to 4 total lan connections to that router. Anything more than that would require additional networking equipment such as a switch, which we would not provide but that can be purchased from a retailer.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 5
(1,048 Views)

Thanks for your help. I thought the box verizon sent was a modem but I guess its a router. Thanks again for all of the responses.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 5
(986 Views)

@ruby125 wrote:

Thanks for your help. I thought the box verizon sent was a modem but I guess its a router. 

It is a router and a modem. The correct term for that is a Gateway 🙂

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.