how do i undo bridged modem?
kconst60
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I was having trouble port forwarding through my Westell 6100f modem, so I bridged it and went through my wireless router instead.  That didn't work either.  Anyways, I'd like to disable the bridge mode and set it back to how it was.  However, now with the modem bridged I have no way to access the settings and change it ( I was able to do this by putting the modem ip in the address bar before).  Does anybody know how to do this?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: how do i undo bridged modem?
kconst60
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried the port check while the program was running and it was a success!  Thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you will want to factory reset the 6100 modem.  Get a paper clip or something small enough to fit in the reset button.  it's tiny.   and hold it in for 15-30 seconds, and let it go.  when you let it go - it will reset to factory settings, and it will be dishing out 192.168.1.x ip addresses.

after you reset it, if you can't access the router or the internet, then use these two commands to help find where the problem is

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While the post above in this thread, answers your question.

I can help you with forwarding.

To start with: What is the brand and model of your wireless router?

kconst60
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Netgear WPN824N wireless router connected to the Westell6100f modem.  I'm trying to forward port 6501.   Ideally I'd like to have the port forwarding setup with both modem and wireless router.  But I would be satisfied being able to port forward with just the modem hooked up too.  At first, I had just the Westell modem hooked up and I was able to figure out how to set up the port forwarding but somehow it still didn't work.  More recently I tried bridging the modem and forwarding through the Netgear but it became too confusing.  Any advice you can give me would help.  Thanks.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 In the Netgear router go to LAN IP Setup

#2 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

For example..

192.168.1.2 as the Starting IP Address and 192.168.1.254 as the Ending IP Address.

#3 In the Netgear go to UPnP

#4 If you do not have at least two special computers that support UPnP where you can not define the ports that they use, turn off Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

A perfect example. At least two game consoles. Any two (Two Xboxes, two Playstations, One Xbox and one Playstation).

#5 Look at the screens of your Westell.

#6 Is more like:

a) http://screenshots.portforward.com/Westell/A90-750018-07/index.htm

b) OR http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/Westell6100/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

#7 Look at the Westell hardware.

a) Does your Westell only have one LAN port OR least two LAN port(s)?

b) Besides a power wire, phone line, and your Netgear router - is there anything else connected to the Westell?

kconst60
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok.

#1 In the Netgear router go to LAN IP Setup

#2 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

Starting IP 10.0.0.2

Ending IP 10.0.0.254

For example..

192.168.1.2 as the Starting IP Address and 192.168.1.254 as the Ending IP Address.

#3 In the Netgear go to UPnP

#4 If you do not have at least two special computers that support UPnP where you can not define the ports that they use, turn off Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).
I turned this off
A perfect example. At least two game consoles. Any two (Two Xboxes, two Playstations, One Xbox and one Playstation).

#5 Look at the screens of your Westell.

#6 Is more like:

a) http://screenshots.portforward.com/Westell/A90-750018-07/index.htm

b) OR http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Westell/Westell6100/1st_SMTP_Server.htm

It looks like A

#7 Look at the Westell hardware.

a) Does your Westell only have one LAN port OR least two LAN port(s)?

There is only one

b) Besides a power wire, phone line, and your Netgear router - is there anything else connected to the Westell?

No

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 I am going back to something you said earlier..

@kconst60 wrote:

Hi,

I was having trouble port forwarding through my Westell 6100f modem, so I bridged it and went through my wireless router instead.  That didn't work either.

What did not work:

a) Internet Access?

b) Portforwarding?

#2 If you meant: You did not have Internet Access after putting the modem into bridge mode...

a) In the Westell go to System Monitoring -> Gateway Status

b) What is the Broadband Connection Type listed in there? Using the sample screen shot as shown at screenshots.portforward.com for that Westell I used, the Broadband Connection Type is PPPoE

--

Moving along...

#3 In the Westell go to Advanced -> Private LAN

#4 What is the Starting and Ending IP Address?

#5 In the Westell go to Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play

#6 If you do not have at least two special computers that support UPnP where you can not define the ports that they use, turn off Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

#7 In the Netgear change the Starting IP Address, so that it is 10.0.0.100

#8 Do you have a standalone hub or switch (a hub/switch that is NOT part of a router)?

kconst60
Enthusiast - Level 2

#1 When i was in bridge mode I was able to access the internet but I could not figure out how to set up the port forwarding in the netgear.  It was telling me my IP address was 10.0.0.1 which seemed like a generic IP so next I tried setting up a static IP but I kept getting confused.  Eventually I just gave up.

#3 DHCP Start address 192.168.1.15

DHCP End address 192.168.1.47

#6 it was already turned off

#7 I just did this

#8 I don't know what a standalone hub or switch is.  I looked it up a description on google and I don't think I have one of these but I am not sure.  I know besides the Westell and the Netgear there is nothing else hooked up to my connections.

Also, I may be getting ahead of myself here...but when I set up the port forwarding for the Westell modem there is a choice of setting it up "Host" or "Dynamic". If  "Host" is selected there is a box where it asks you to manually enter a LAN IP.  Under "dyanmic" you cannot do this.  So I guess my question is which of these two options should I be selecting?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Put the modem into bridge mode, as recommended in http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

#2 Go to http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

#3 Select your OS and Version. For example Windows XP.

#4 Setup a Static IP.

Hint/Clue: With the Starting IP Address 10.0.0.100 the Ending IP Address 10.0.0.254 and the router at 10.0.0.1, you can choose any number between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.99

#4 In the Netgear router forward to the IP Address that you setup on your computer.

#5 Use a port checker.

#6 Please tell what port checker (or port checkers) you used.

#7 Without posting what your public IP is, what was the result of the port checker(s)?

#8 What program are you trying to forward for?

--

Now here is some other info...

To get into your bridged modem without a standalone hub or switch, option number one:

#1 In the Negear router go to Basic Settings

#2 Where it says, Does Your Internet Connection Reguire a login, say no.

#3 Where it says Account Name and where it says Domain Name. leave that blank.

#4 Where it says Internet IP Address, change that to..

IP Address: 192.168.1.6

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Then for the DNS Servers if they are filled in, leave them alone.

If the DNS Servers are blank (not filled in), type in 192.168.1.1

#5 Where it says MAC Address, you can leave that alone.

#6 Press Apply or Save Settings (not Cancel or Discard).

#7 You now can get access to the modem combo at 192.168.1.1

#8 To get back online, go to Basic Settings and restore the previous settings that were there and press Apply or Save Changes.

To get into your bridged modem without a standalone hub or switch, option number two:

#1 Disconnect your computer from the Netgear router.

#2 On your computer setup a Static IP

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

#3 When you do so, use these settings...

#4 Disconnect the Westell from the Netgear router,

#5 For security precautions, as need be unbind File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks from that NIC that you assinged a Static IP.

#6 Connect your computer to the Westell.

#7 Now you can access the Westell at 192.168.1.1

#8 To get back online, for example..

a) Disconnect your computer from the Westell.

b) Connect the Netgear to the Westell.

c) Either set the computer to use DHCP OR set to use a Static IP with-in the same subnet of the Netgear.

For example IP Address 10.0.0.6, Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 10.0.0.1, and then usually two DNS Server(s)

d) Connect your computer to the Netgear.

To get into your bridged modem with a standalone hub or switch, if your computer has only one NIC.

#1 An example of a Stand alone hub is the Linksys EFAH05W as noted at

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000...

#2 Disconnect the Netgear fron the Westell.

#3 Connect a wire from the Westell to the port next to the uplink port.

#4 Connect a wire from the Netgear to any other port but not those two ports (uplink and the one next to it).

#5 Disconnect your comptuer from behind the Netgear.

#6 While I know your router is not a Linksys, I point to the info at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7267 to the second Recommended method: that starts with

Instead of using a second NIC, a Spare PC with the sole purpose of accessing the modem could be used.

#7 Be sure to set that NIC to be in the same subnet as the Westell.

#8 Note: Since that computer can not access the net, these settings will work.

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

You don't need a Default Gateway or DNS Servers to access a modem combo that is in bridge mode.

Note: As far as I know / to the best of my Knowledge, only NAT routers are very picky. You can not assign a WAN IP and WAN Subnet Mask with no WAN Default Gateway and with no DNS Servers.

#9 For security precautions, as need be unbind File and Print Sharing and the Client for Microsoft Networks from that NIC that you assinged a Static IP.

#10 Connect a wire from your computer to any other port but not to the uplink and the one next to it.

#11 You should be able to access the modem while it is in bridge mode using 192.168.1.1

#12 If not, change the cable that connects to the port next to the uplink port to the uplink port.

--

If you had a stand alone hub/siwtch and your computer had two NICs.

Almost the same as the above directions, but: That other NIC that is not conected to the hub/switch, has to be the same subnet as the Netgear router.

Note: I am not sure if that other NIC that is not conected to the hub/switch can be setup for DHCP and the connection to the net will work or not, but I know for sure Staitic IP would work.

For example..

#1 Wired NIC connected to hub/switch.

#2 NIC connected to the Netgear (Wired or Wireless).

IP Address: 10.0.0.6

Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1

and then usually two DNS Servers.

kconst60
Enthusiast - Level 2

So following your instructions I was successful setting up bridge mode and also the static IP....my internet connection is working fine.  However, using the canyouseeme.org port check, it says "connection refused" when I check the port.  I am trying to forward port 6501 for the stratomatic baseball game.  I also made sure to shut off all firewalls before doing the port check. 

0 Likes