is Verizon TRYING to lose customers?
malclave

I used to be able to watch a HD movie on Netflix (4 dots) while playing an online game... then Verizon decided to start throttling back Netflix data. Now I'm lucky if I can watch a movie at 2 dots without multiple buffering, and not doing anything else taking up bandwidth. Plus they just raised the rate on my DSL.

I know they're trying to push FIOS and are trying to force Netflix to pay what is essentially protection money, but why would I go Verizon FIOS when I have no reason to expect anything but the same scam?

0 Likes
Re: is Verizon TRYING to lose customers?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because FiOS is actually better than the DSL?

To help out with the Netflix streaming problem, shut off the Adaptive quality selection. Bring up Netflix's quality selector (Last I checked it was Control Alt Shift S), uncheck auto, and pick a bitrate. The bitrate should be one that is either 70% of your connection's rated speed, or the maximum. See if this helps with streaming, or see if this allows you to buffer up a huge chunk of video (setting a fixed quality allows the player to build a buffer, rather than throw it all away when the quality changes).

0 Likes
malclave

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Netflix, but I didn't have it on auto. I've read about enough problems even with Verizon FIOS that I really don't think DSL is the problem (especially since it was working fine for quite some time). When I run speedtest on either my PC or my Roku (wired connection to the router), the speed should be fine for an HD stream.

My understanding is that Verizon just doesn't have the infrastructure to handle the traffic coming from Netflix. There's really no reason to assume that Verizon FIOS would be any improvement. Every time I get a call or mail from Verizon about upgrading to FIOS, all they're really doing is suggest I look at other providers.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hopefully the next month or two will prove that the Netflix peering agreement between Verizon and Netflix wasn't done in vain. People are starting to see the peering points show up, although traffic isn't exactly being directed to them yet. It's hard to say who's at blame when most companies will not reveal data in a completely transparent way due to NDAs, trade secrets, etc.

0 Likes
headstrongjay
Enthusiast - Level 1

i completely agree!!!!! i have switched & had Verizons highspeed dsl from TWC for 8 days only and have had nothing but issues since!! Even technitions here TWICE and still even though i have more than the reccomended speed to stream Netflix on my xbox 360; i cant even watch a movie plus all i see is the 1st two rows of movies!! i have tried EVERYTHING even switching the playback to LOW sd streaming. Whats even more sad is my inlaws downstairs from me have Time Warner Cable wi fi & i BARELY get 1 bar n yet i kin connect to it n Netflix works PERFECT!!!    IF ANYBODY READING THIS HAS ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS TO HELP PLEEEEEEEASE LET ME KNOW OR EMAIL ME AT: {edited for privacy}   i am DESPERATE & going NUTS over this issueconsidering Verizon is suppose to be sooooo "great"!!!

0 Likes