need public ip on my router
deeno

I have my own Fortigate router that is sitting behind the dsl modem that I recently got from Verizon (model GT704-WG-B).  It is getting a private IP (192.168.x.x) and I want a public IP assigned to my Fortigate router instead.  The Verizon modem/router is currently assigned with a public WAN IP.  I'm pretty sure it is using PPPoE, but I cannot confirm it yet.  My Fortigate supports PPPoE as well and so I think the right thing to do is just set the Verizon modem/router in brdige mode.  Can someone assist?  I found this link on other thread, but I want to make sure I'm on the right path before I touch things. 

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/SetUp/QuestionsOne/123766.htm

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: need public ip on my router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I am not 100% so I hope someone can confirm or deny this, but I am pretty sure that you CAN'T bridge that particular router in a true bridge config.    Even doing a google search I come up short on finding a way to bridge it.

let's wait for some of the local house experts to confirm or deny that, and if that is the case then you will want to try to get a different router from verizon like the westell that you can bridge more easily.

0 Likes
Re: need public ip on my router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

by the way, normally it's enough to piggy back the routers and get online, are you doing something special where you need a public ip on the 2nd router? 

0 Likes