non-wireless router
thefelts

does any know ..if Verizon offer a good non-wirelss router ...there Actiontec sucks.. i rather get a my own router to hook up to computor ..Verizon service ok but there equipment is lousy...

0 Likes
Re: non-wireless router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your current DSL modem combo?

#2 Do you have your own RJ-45 WAN port router?

#3 If so to my last question what is it? For example, the Linksys WRT54G

0 Likes
Re: non-wireless router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A non-wireless router? A few simple ways to get one. First of all, the easiest and quickest way is to disable the Wireless Radio in the ActionTec which of course will restrict you to using Ethernet until you enable the radio again. If the ActionTec is giving you other problems besides the wireless though, the Westell 6100 is really the only other thing offered by Verizon that does not have built-in Wireless capabilities. It is a wired router in itself despite only having a single Ethernet port, though you will need to purchase a switch to be able to use it as a router for more than one PC/device. The routing functions can be disabled, so to speak by simply bridging the modem to your router of choice and setting your router to use PPPoE (which is in most Verizon DSL areas, some areas are DHCP though they aren't very common). Additionally, you could see if Verizon can send you a Westell 6110 if any are around, which are pure bridge modems. Lastly, there's always the option of using your own modem and router combination.