"High Speed Internet isn’t available at your address"
PatrickO
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

We're looking to rent a house that is on a large piece of property in our town. This house has never been rented before and served as a guest house of sorts for the much larger house on the same property.  The owner of this larger house has Verizon Fios service, and the whole town is served well with Verizon (we're a suburb of Los Angeles so not in the boonies at all).  

Because this house has never had service before I am trying to figure out if we can get high speed internet there.  I looked online and it told me that high speed internet is unavailable, but I don't know if this is something that is decisive or just because there has never been service at this house before so it doesn't show up online. 

My question is whether Verizon is able and willing to install cable or dsl service in this location--as it is only a matter of extending it ether from the main house (halfway to the street) or from the street itself.  

My wife and I depend on high speed internet for both work and entertainment, so this is a deciding factor in our taking this otherwise excellent house.  

The owner says that because she has Verizon FIOS it shouldn't be a problem to extend service to the other house, but I want to check to see if this is something that can and would be done.  

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.  

0 Likes
Re: "High Speed Internet isn’t available at your address"
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Keep in mind that High Speed Internet (HSI) and FiOS are not the same thing. Make sure you are checking FiOS availability if the main house has FiOS. Verizon doesn't typically offer HSI in areas where they've deployed FiOS.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are reasons why there's not DSL available. It could be:

1: The house you're in would not be in Verizon's database, in which case someone with Engineering will need to add/fix the database for you, and afterwards once service is ordered, a technician to manage bringing a drop to your home.

2: DSLAMs are at capacity

3: DSL is just not available due to distance or plant issues

4: The property on the same plot of land is known to have FiOS and as such, Verizon will no longer offer DSL

5: Verizon is not offering DSL period in Los Angeles for new hook-ups in FiOS areas.

You can try asking them on the phone if it's possible to get a DSL line connected, or see if a third party DSL reseller such as DSLExtreme is able to push an order to Verizon for DSL. Otherwise, you'll be best to go with the available FiOS connection from Verizon. If you're really insistent on getting a copper-based connection besides perhaps Time Warner/Comcast, whoever serves your part of Los Angeles, see if Verizon will supply you with a Copper Landline. Often in FiOS areas they won't even offer that without a bit of kicking and screaming unless there's a reason you need to have copper.

0 Likes
PatrickO
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the helpful replies!