synching Netgear WiFi Extender to new DLink modem / router
nonunion

I got a new Verizon integrated modem / router to replace my old failed Verizon Westfall 7500 integrated / modem router. The rub was that when I plugged in my Netgear wifi signal extender WN3000RP (used to fix dead spots that the wifi does not reach in my house), that instantly killed the incoming dsl wifi signal from the router altogether, leading to repeated arduous and painful dealings with Verizon tech support just to reinstate the incoming wifi without the extender. However, I need the extender to work, and refused to pay Netgear for $40 for their ("out of warranty") phone tech support to get the extender to work without killing the modem / router signal.

Here's the problem and the fix. The problem is that the old Westfall 7500 verizon router used "WEP" security, whereas the new Verizon Dlink uses "WPA2" security. Fix: Turn OFF new router. Plug in and press reset button on the extender device (its labelled). Wire the extender to your computer (they ethernet connect). Do this close to the modem / router. Turn on browser to grab internal extender-signal which populates a browser page with a non- internet signal from extender. Attempt to connect to the extender signal. Assuming it does not connect, go to PC network sharing center on PC's control panal and get to settings for extender. Change security from WEP to WPA2 and reenter password. Turn back on modem router and everying should be synched and working!  Then move the extender to where you need it. ALSO TELL VERIZON LEVEL ONE TECH SUPPORT PEOPLE about the problem and the fix. And dont buy Netgear extender if you dont want to be held up for a $40 tech support phone answer!

Labels (1)
0 Likes