terrible ping/throughput, DSL internet, northwest pennsylvania
nethead
Enthusiast - Level 3

On verizon's speed test site, I get 1mbps down, .892kpbs up. This is well below the threshold for what I pay for ($53/mo Internet Enhanced.) I get these speeds (along with 300+ ping time to any major network) about 75% of the time, regardless of the time of day. I also get them when the router is directly connected to the outside junction box. This is a recent development - the past two months or so. Prior to that I saw, typically, static ping times of around 70 and throughput of around 2.1mbps.

I'm not really experiencing line noise like I have in previous years (which resulted in similar problems, though not as severe.) This seems to be something more serious - maybe a problem with your DSL repeater station, or the fact the phone lines are nearly touching the ground thanks to a downed tree about a mile down the road? Or possibly congestion thanks to new homeowners nearby? You guys have a local maintenance shop in my area (Warren County) but the number is unlisted and I know better than to call your national 800 numbers expecting to get to talk to someone who knows what's going on around here.

Can anyone here help me out?

0 Likes
Re: terrible ping/throughput, DSL internet, northwest pennsylvania
nethead
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm bumping this thread. It's been days without a respond from verizon.

I want to know why one of your CS reps from India told me he was giving me a local maintenance telephone number when it was actually just a US national verizon customer service number - he also refused to set up a technician appointment and specifically mentioned it's because I live in Pennsylvania and have line noise.

If you guys don't get in touch with me within ten days I'm contacting the PUC and BBB and sending pictures of your ill-maintained copper network in Warren County to the CWA - I hear they've been pretty active in communication with the PUC.

I still have a Bell South box on my house, if that is any indication of how little you seem to care about this area (while reaping $100+ mo phone/internet bills.) By my estimates you've earned enough money from just my BFRR DSL (and the others using it in this small area) to install over 40 miles of 288 count fiber optic cable. What seems to be the problem?

0 Likes
Re: terrible ping/throughput, DSL internet, northwest pennsylvania
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

Hi nethead,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents, who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes