two pc's share a dsl connection
Luke25

I currently have one pc connected to a model 6100 modem. We want to connect our othe computer, located in a different room, to the internet also. I asked tech support and they said I should buy the Westel 7500 or 327 which have multiple ethernet outputs so that more than one computer can be connected to it. 1st Question: Can I purchase a second modem and have the two modems plugged into phone jacks in the different rooms and each connected to one of the two computers? 

2nd question: Can a dsl line support two computers accessing the internet at the same time? Any help anyone can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: two pc's share a dsl connection
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

No way can you have two DSL modems on the same line. What is usually done is the modem is also a router (The Westel or Actiontec) with 4 router ports, and an WAN port. Some also support wireless as well. In any case you can plug in up to 4 PC's or other devices on the router ports, plus WiFi if your router supports it.

With the router, there is no problem with multiple users sharing the same internet connection.

0 Likes
Luke25

Thanks for the help. So if I understand correctly- I could

1. buy one of the modems from Verizon that have multiple ports and then run ehternet cable to the second computer upstairs, or
  2. buy a modem that has wireless output as well as multiple ports and connect 2nd computer by wireless, or
  3. buy wireless router like the Linksys BEFW11S4 router shown in the Verizon support page, and plug that into my existing modem and connect computers by wireless or by ethernet cable

I see from the Liksys user guide that it appears that it will support network printing, file sharing, and other network functions. Is that also true with option 1 and 2?

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@Luke wrote:

1st Question: Can I purchase a second modem and have the two modems plugged into phone jacks in the different rooms and each connected to one of the two computers? 

2nd question: Can a dsl line support two computers accessing the internet at the same time? Any help anyone can offer is much appreciated.

Thanks

Question 1, Mattheww cover this nicely.  The other option is to buy a router and hook it up to your modem.  Then you can wire both computers to the router.

Question 2, Without a doubt.  I have 5 computers working off of my dsl connection through my router.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
If you get any network equipment, please do not get it from Verizon. It sounds like that there is a back door in their equipment.

As addressed in the TOS (Terms of Service):

We may provide you, for a fee or at no charge, software for use in connection with the Service which is owned by Verizon or its third party licensors, providers and suppliers ( "Software" ). We reserve the right periodically to update, upgrade or change the Software remotely or otherwise and to make related changes to the settings and software on your computer or Equipment, and you agree to permit such changes and access to your computer and Equipment. You may use the Software only in connection with the Service and for no other purpose...

I am not telling you what equipment to buy, but I can tell you what DSL modem that I have.. 😉

I have the Zoom X5 5564.

And it has four LAN ports..
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@dslr595148 wrote:
If you get any network equipment, please do not get it from Verizon. It sounds like that there is a back door in their equipment.

As addressed in the TOS (Terms of Service):

I don't think this is any different from any broadband supplier. Time warner could access my router anytime they wanted. 

As for routers, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G  which then ties into a 16 port switch.  Like yours, it has 4 lan ports and wireless.

0 Likes