wireless internet
jjm

I have verizon dsl with the Westell 6100 modem and a linksys wireless-G router and I have a Wirless-G PCI adapter in my desktop computer. I have it all set up and my son is connected wirelessly with his xbox.

I want to know if I can be connected wirelessly without the use of a phone line. I am thinking of canceling my landline phone service all together but was not sure how it would work with the internet connection and what equipment I might need to have a totally wireless connection.

0 Likes
Re: wireless internet
Arun3

Yes if you have a wireless adapter on your desktop and already have wireless network, you can use that wireless network. Just get the wireless key for your network and use it to connect to your network.

0 Likes
jjm
ok, so I entered the key into the wireless adapter monitor where you set it up.  It says it's connected, but when I disconnect the westell modem, internet does not work.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
No. Wire less is for your PC and other wireless devices like the Xbox. DSL modem needs the phone line to provide Internet service to the wireless router. Perhaps you could get DSL over the phone line without the voice service. You would need to call and find out. If anything you may have to keep the minimum metered phone service and not use the voice line unless emergency. I think the other person missunderstood your question. You can have everything wireless in your house, but you get your internet service from the DSL modem over the phone line.
Message Edited by prisaz on 02-26-2009 02:47 PM
0 Likes
jjm
oh ok, thanks for your help.
0 Likes