wireless router WNR2000
suz628
I went to bst buys and bought a wireless router to go with my verizon DSL. I was told by best buys this would allow me to use my laptop as a wireless computer. I have everything hooked up to the desktop but when I try to access the internet on the laptop it will not connect. Do I also need to buy a wireless adapter WN111, WNDA3100 or WG111 as the box says I need . Can someone please talk me through the steps one by one. Thanks. suz
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: wireless router WNR2000
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

Not enough information provided to answer your question.

1). Does your laptop have a built in Wi-Fi adapter? Most built in the last 5 years or so do, but not all.

If you don't have a built in Wi-Fi adapter, then you need to buy one for the laptop.

2). Did you set up the Wireless router? You need to configure it to the SSID, and other parameters

3). Did you connect the wireless router to the WAN port on the DSL modem.

4). You usually have to manually connect to the wireless network the first time. That may be as simple as just clicking on the wireless icon on your laptop, but if you are using any sort of security, there is more involved.

5). There are innumerable possible issues depending upon exactly what your Verizon DSL modem really is (what model). Some are simply modems, and some have built in 4 port routers with or without wireless.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

Not enough information provided to answer your question.

1). Does your laptop have a built in Wi-Fi adapter? Most built in the last 5 years or so do, but not all.

If you don't have a built in Wi-Fi adapter, then you need to buy one for the laptop.

2). Did you set up the Wireless router? You need to configure it to the SSID, and other parameters

3). Did you connect the wireless router to the WAN port on the DSL modem.

4). You usually have to manually connect to the wireless network the first time. That may be as simple as just clicking on the wireless icon on your laptop, but if you are using any sort of security, there is more involved.

5). There are innumerable possible issues depending upon exactly what your Verizon DSL modem really is (what model). Some are simply modems, and some have built in 4 port routers with or without wireless.

0 Likes
suz628

Ok my verizon dsl modem is just the modem , Verizon said I needed a wireless router. Best buys person suggested the netear WNR 2000. My laptop has a Mini PCI Wireless Card built in. I have the router hooked up to modem (verizon model 6100) I do have it configured to a SSID .It also has a wireless passpharase also.  I have internet on my desktop , laptop doesn't want to connect to router.If I connect an enthernet cable to desktop and rounter I have internet but can't connect wireless.  I have the connection for wireless showing up on wireless network but can't connect. I noticed on the netgear 2000 also says ab out a wireless adapter but the man at best buys said I didn't need it. I hope this makes sense to you .

0 Likes