wireless signal terrible...help! :)
yaz

OK I am ready to jump out the window. I have great internet on the computer that's hardwired, ok internet on a PC that has a wireless card but is in a fixed spot relatively near the router, and TERRIBLE internet on a mac laptop that travels around the house.

Symptoms:

-Internet on Mac laptop is unreliable. Relatively strong (but not that strong) when within a few feet of router, but once I move it away the signal is often unreliable (strong one moment, totally gone the next, and hardly ever strong except when right near router).

-Laptop is relatively new (macbook pro duo) and has worked well everywhere else, including in this home with comcast

-connectivity seemed to get worse when wires were moved by verizon staff on exterior of house

Here's what I've tried already:

-verified with Apple that laptop is ok and airport card works fine

-changed channel from "auto" to "11" and in between (think I tried all channels)

-taken encryption off, and then put it back on again (no difference)

-made sure no cordless phones added or other wireless devices that might interfere

-spoken with verizon a billion times to hear them say they do not guarantee anything other than the signal to the router...with wireless you are on your own.

-bought and tried an omnidirectional antenna (no help)

-set and reset router by unplugging from wall and thru verizon

-received new router and installed same (no change) 

Was thinking of trying a signal booster...at this point I don't know what else to try?

Message Edited by yaz on 08-28-2008 12:47 PM
0 Likes
Re: wireless signal terrible...help! :)
birdistasty
What router do you have?
0 Likes
Re: wireless signal terrible...help! :)
yaz
The router I have is the Actiontec router that Verizon issues... They just sent me a new one which I installed (no change).
0 Likes