Can any 3rd party sensors be used with this system?
bafooya
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have several wireless door sensors currently in use with my ADT system that I plan to cancel soon. Is there a way to use these with the gateway?

Can any 3rd party IP camera be used with the gateway, or only the ones provided on your site?

Supported or not, just wondering if theses items will work. Thanx ~

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can any 3rd party sensors be used with this system?
kim119
Contributor - Level 1

I do not think so since the sensers on the version webpages are desinged for use woth there system and using a 3rd party devise can cause problems in the long run like it not working witht the system or the devise not doing what it should be doing.

0 Likes
totallywirednyc

I was wondering the same question, but then I watched the video from the menu and it says "you can even use your existing home camera system with this". I came online to see if this is true because I install smart home systems. It is so simple, every item has a IP address assigned to it, so as long as the item you want to install has an IP, then you register the IP in the home monitoring system. Boom it will work. 

0 Likes
Bbfl
Enthusiast - Level 1
Zwave is a Propiertary standard protocol.
Both ADT And Verizon are offering us off the shelf zwave devices.
So we "should" have been able to use any zwave devices.

But no...
it appears that Verizon has decided to lock out anything they haven't sold us directly
(lock out from their gateway).

mannyfresh83

Can the Z-wave components in this system be used with a different gateway in the future? Say, if I don't want to pay the $10 every month but I've purchased the system already. Can the components be used with another gateway device? I presume the Verizon provided gateway and monthly fee is what gives you access to control it over the internet and from the TV.

On an unrelated note, is there a contract term requirement? I can't find that information anywhere.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Amishj

I have the same issue ADT and VZ.  I would love to cancel the more expensive of the two.

Can the ADT gateway utilize the verizon zwave hardware? 

Can the VZ gateway firmware be reprogrammed and still interface with the VZ web portal?

Can you purchase a third party gateway to overlap ADT and VZ pairings?  

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Bbfl wrote:
Zwave is a Propiertary standard protocol.
Both ADT And Verizon are offering us off the shelf zwave devices.
So we "should" have been able to use any zwave devices.

But no...
it appears that Verizon has decided to lock out anything they haven't sold us directly
(lock out from their gateway).

Yea. I bet configured much like LonWorks, but in a residential very limited format. Here is a picture of a light bulb how NICE. Build a graphic of your house and place links to objects would be nice. With the current offering I don't see much from what is offered.

Now I want to know if external software applications must be installed on the remote PC, and if it will work through our firwall at work. Now if it runs on strange ports and needs to load apps, it is of no use to me.

0 Likes
autobot1
Enthusiast - Level 3

On the remote PC, you would access the monitoring and control service through a web browser. So other than port 80 and 443 for HTTP/HTTPS, I don't think it uses any other non-standard ports.

You do need to have Java to view the live streaming videos. I am not sure which port that uses.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@autobot wrote:

On the remote PC, you would access the monitoring and control service through a web browser. So other than port 80 and 443 for HTTP/HTTPS, I don't think it uses any other non-standard ports.

You do need to have Java to view the live streaming videos. I am not sure which port that uses.

I have a current CCTV 8 channel camera system in a PC with 1TB storage, and it also uses Java, which wants to load their program on the remote computer. Mine at work, and that just will not happen. My question is if that was required with the Verizon system. I am waiting on the answer from a message sent to Verizon. I need to know exactly before I consider it.

It would be great if the Verizon's system worked without needing to remotely install an application, and it could use an internal IP port to monitor an existing system. I have a camera investment and installation I do not wish to trash. I was just looking for and searching in here for some basic answers. Waiting for more details. From what I have seen, it is not possible to use other vendor equipment which is understandable from Verizon's standpoint. The support aspects would be a nightmare for some. I would like to see the option and have it just as a non supported feature. Like this is how is should work, but we do not support it. Just like if you plug your PC into a LAN, it is not theirs.

Thanks for the response.

0 Likes
autobot1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfrotunately, I don't believe it is possible to use your exisitng CCTV system with Verizon's home monitoring & control service. The service only recognize and work with the IP cameras and Z-Wave devices sold by Verizon. At least for now.

0 Likes