Gateway Control Device - Any Z Wave Device Work ?
mstrong1

It looks like this is a Z Wave system as it works with Schlage, Trane, etc.

It is not clear what the supplied "gateway device" is.

Will the Verizon service work with micasaverde vera and other Z wave "gateways" ?

Will the service operate any third party Z Wave devices ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Gateway Control Device - Any Z Wave Device Work ?
Goran4
Enthusiast - Level 3

I confirmed with Verizon Home Monitoring Control tech support today that the Gateway that is shipped from Verizon will only connect with other z-wave devices ordered from Verizon.  Apparently, this is hardcoded in the Firmware of the devices.  In other words, you cannot go down the street to Lowe's or The Home Depot and purchase a Shage z-wave lock and pair it with your Verizon Gateway.

Also, as you order a device from Verizon, that device is provisioned to your "on-line" account on monitoringcontrol.verizon.com.  If this provisioning is not done, the z-wave device cannot be controlled through the on-line interface.

As a side note.  I did some research and found that Verizon's prices are the same, or in some instances, lower than what I can find elsewhere.  For example, the indoor light module is about $10 less than at our local Lowe's.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
vanrynb

Does anyone know if the FIOS devices will work with a different Gateway like the Vera? I have a few cameras and light controllers from FIOS home control and want to see if they will work with a different gateway. This way I can add light switch controls and not have to worry about the investment I already made in the FIOS z wave equipment.

0 Likes
autobot1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am pretty sure you can add the Z-Wave devices to another gateway like the Vera.

I am also pretty sure you can add the IP camera to the Vera, however I didn't verify that.

0 Likes
Eddiethefixer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got this Home Security package from Verizon and set it up ( partly because they offer a $300. rebate ) but also to try it out .

The system was fairly easy to set up but the online monitoring has problems and crashes .  Also the texting notifications don't work cosistantly either .  And Just to confirm what Goran said ,  ONLY Verizons Z-wave equipment will work with there controller .

I tried hooking up an Intermatic Z-wave wall light switch ( something Verizon doesn't offer ) and the system won't accept it . 

Good for a very basic system, but with NO expandability this will be a short lived system for Verizon !