Indoor light module - why does it say incandescent only?
bobh002
Contributor - Level 1

Just received my Home control package today, installing it was extremely easy and the online step by step instructions were right on the money. However, the instructions for the indoor light module instructions everywhere say incandescent only, however I don't even own any of those bulbs any more.  So I installed it and hooked it up to a compact fluorescent equipped lamp and it appears to work fine.  I am slowly converting all of my cfl's into led's inside my home. The question is , why do all the instructions say incandescent only and is it doing any harm to either to run cfl's or leds attached to these devices?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Indoor light module - why does it say incandescent only?
Leesburg_Dave1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Most of Z-wave modules sold operate like dimmer switches so "non-dimmable" CFLs could damage the CFL and/or the module.  (most CFLs fall in this category unless the package says "dimmable.")  Technically speaking, the dimmer modules like to see a "purely resistive" load.  That is, they don't function well with an electric motor or some sort of power converter like the ballast on a CFL or the power supply built into an LED lamp.  If you don't care to have dimming and want to be completely safe, use an appliance module instead.  These devices use a mechanical relay to switch the load on and off.  These relays use metal contacts just like those inside a wall switch.  Unfortunately, you have to give up the dimming feature which might be something you want to keep.  If you do need dimming, then I would suggest purchasing CFLs or LEDs that are safe for dimmers and hope for the best.

View solution in original post

Bbfl
Enthusiast - Level 1
There are two types of zwave lighting devices: on/off & dimming. The ones that support dimming will say incandescent only.
Leesburg_Dave1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Most of Z-wave modules sold operate like dimmer switches so "non-dimmable" CFLs could damage the CFL and/or the module.  (most CFLs fall in this category unless the package says "dimmable.")  Technically speaking, the dimmer modules like to see a "purely resistive" load.  That is, they don't function well with an electric motor or some sort of power converter like the ballast on a CFL or the power supply built into an LED lamp.  If you don't care to have dimming and want to be completely safe, use an appliance module instead.  These devices use a mechanical relay to switch the load on and off.  These relays use metal contacts just like those inside a wall switch.  Unfortunately, you have to give up the dimming feature which might be something you want to keep.  If you do need dimming, then I would suggest purchasing CFLs or LEDs that are safe for dimmers and hope for the best.