Is Verizon closing the HM&C division?
shaenn
Contributor - Level 3
The website for purchasing new equipment has been down for over a week. Called home monitoring and control sales and they aren't even selling the stuff over the phone now. I was told they put a hold on all new sales and existing customer sales i.e. purchasing extra equipment.

This can't be good. Where does this leave all of us who have purchased the service purchased equipment and may need technical support in the future?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon closing the HM&C division? - Sure Looks Like It
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@shaenn wrote:
The website for purchasing new equipment has been down for over a week ... they aren't even selling the stuff over the phone ... Where does this leave all of us who have purchased the service purchased equipment and may need technical support in the future?

According to articles published elsewhere, Verizon stopped selling HM&C equipment on 13 October 2013.  As far as I can tell the support and technical issues will still be supported, but I cannot determine the duration or scope of support.
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Shaenn,

What Armond stated is correct, we will continue support for HM&C and will replace any equipment that is under warranty if needed.

Josh B

shaenn
Contributor - Level 3

It would have been nice if Verizon had let existing HM&C customers know about this before closing the store. I’m sure many customers would have made a last purchase or two items first.

Funny how Verizon is closing their HM&C division just as many of their competitors are starting to market similar products.

When I look back now at those original Verizon videos which promoted the service as the greatest thing since sliced bread I have to laugh. I guess the bread went stale.

mikeg2791
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wonderful

How about people need to replace parts in the future that are not under guarantee. I spend a lot of money  I should of stayed with comcast. How about stepping up to the plate just for once and tell your customer the truth.

0 Likes
shaenn
Contributor - Level 3

Well, your best bet is eBay & Craig's List for equipment. I just picked up two more cameras on eBay for less than 1/2 the Verizon cost. And don't forget, the system supports Z-Wave devices so you can get the same equipment from other sources.

My concern is that at some point Verizon will most likely drop the service and support of their HM&C system completely. It's then that you may really feel like you've been screwed. But there may be other options for almost all your equipment, the exception being the gateway. I'm currently looking into switching my gateway to a Vera Lite. By purchasing equipment on eBay and Craig's List, I've now have some backup equipment. I can use that extra equipment to test it with a Vera List gateway while still running my Verizon HM&C system.

0 Likes
richm20
Enthusiast - Level 3

So we paid good $ for **bleep** cameras. I own that camera and when VZ decides to stop offering the service i cant do anythign with the cameras.....Can we get the username and password for them?

0 Likes
shaenn
Contributor - Level 3

They are IP Addressable Cameras. Like I post above, everything but the gateway can be reused on other Z-Wave systems. Google "VesaLite" to see one of your options.

What equipment do you have? I may be interested in purchasing it.

0 Likes
shaenn
Contributor - Level 3

OK, now (11/14/2013) the HM&C website is missing the Verizon Menu across the top of the page. So now there is no option to sign-out of the site, leaving your HM&C open to anyone using that computer.

0 Likes
richm20
Enthusiast - Level 3

Without admin access you cant reuse the cameras. You cant select the port they access.

0 Likes