Outdoor Camera Range
shaenn
Contributor - Level 3

Ok, here's the layout. I have my my router & HM&C box in my attic. It's an old house from the 40s and a simple wooden roof. When I had the router in th living room, my wifi signal didn't make it out of the house. But withi it in the attic, I get full signal at every conner of the property. Now, I put an outdoor camera on my shed, which is up a hill from the house so it is acyually level with the attic. The distance from the camera to the router / HM&C is 60 feet, max. 

Now, my question is, what is the max distance that the outdoor camera can be setup, wirelessly? Is it communicating over it's own wireless network, back to the HM&C box or over the router's wifi? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Outdoor Camera Range
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@shaenn wrote:

... router & HM&C box in my attic ... I get full signal at every conner of the property ... distance from the camera to the router / HM&C is 60 feet, max. 

... what is the max distance that the outdoor camera can be setup, wirelessly? Is it communicating over it's own wireless network, back to the HM&C box or over the router's wifi? 

Perhaps I'm missing something very obvious, but if the camera is able to connect wirelessly, it will provide some sort of image somewhere on your network.  Are you seeing such an image on the device where you see images from your other cameras?  If you are, then it works, and if you aren't, it doesn't.

I don't know specifically how the VZ home monitoring system operates.  However if the camera is connecting to your router, it will be listed there.  Just check the list of network devices. 

0 Likes
Lew_D_Vz
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Home Monitoring and Control cameras communicate directly with the broadband router via WiFi.  The router and Home Monitoring and Control gateway device communicate with each other via WiFi or wired Ethernet (based on how you have installed it).  A strong signal from the broadband router to the camera(s) is required for consistent camera performance.

0 Likes
shaenn
Contributor - Level 3

What is there not to understand? My question is very simple.

What is the range of the outdoor camera?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@shaenn wrote:

What is there not to understand? My question is very simple.

What is the range of the outdoor camera?

When I responded to your inquiry one and a half months ago, I did not at that time think that my answer was overly complex:

" ... if the camera is able to connect wirelessly, it will provide some sort of image somewhere on your network.  Are you seeing such an image on the device where you see images from your other cameras?  If you are, then it works, and if you aren't, it doesn't ... "

You did not at that time specifically indicate whether you were interested in the optical range of the camera (i.e., coverage area), or the wireless range of its network radio circuit (i.e., ability to connect to the wireless router at a given distance).  I still don't see that you've clarified that point, so I'll assume your are inquiring about a wireless connection.

Therefore, now nearly a month and a half later and having set up the camera at your desired location, I repeat: are you seeing the camera image on your monitor, or are you not seeing the camera image on your monitor?

Thanks.

0 Likes