Z-Wave limitations and maximum devices
mjr0483
Enthusiast - Level 2

Once I buy the Home Monitoring and Control Kit, is there any limitation to other Z-Wave devices I want to pair with the gateway?

Also, what is the maximum number of devices I can pair?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Z-Wave limitations and maximum devices
bobh002
Contributor - Level 1

You cannot pair any other z-wave devices that Verizon does not sell. There are hundreds of devices out there that you cannot use. Verizon also disable certain features of items like the cameras that they sell. Their prices on the equipment are very competitive but with setting limitations on equipment, poor customer service, and untrained personnel on home monitoring you might want to consider another product. I have had Home monitoring for about 8 months now but will be switching to MiCasaVerde as soon as their router come in.

You can read in these threads how this is a beta system and customer support is shoddy at best from Verizon.

twkennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would honestly wait till they get their act together.. The system barely works.  Sure if  all you wantt to do is  turn your lights on and off go for it... .. but if you want truyly have a system that works for Video Moniting and recording.. this is not rready for Prime Time yet.  Server is down more than it is up.. and when you try to look at recordings more so than not the Image is not Available... It is a great idea.. poorly executed...  I hiighly recommend you wait on purchasing... seems those of us who bought in to it are beta testing it  for them.. AND i would give it a D.... 

mjr0483
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the advice. Vera 3 here I come. More up front cost, but it sounds like it is the stuff.

richm20
Enthusiast - Level 3

"You cannot pair any other z-wave devices that Verizon does not sell."

This information is being spread around and its simply not true. I have yet to try IP stuff (like a camera) but outdoor cont., switches, and hard wired dimmers all work fine on my system.

Possibly they are recently supported but go to "add a device" from your HM page and take a look at the 2 options you have. "add a device from Verizon, or add another device"

0 Likes
bobh002
Contributor - Level 1

Richm20 is right. It does show an option to pair other devices now, it was not that way before. Who handles marketing and advertising for Verizon? Why don't users know about this let alone people possibly considering getting this system. The whole Home control experience has been frustrating to say the least. I received my Vera3 system the other day and its running fine. Verizon home control was a way to get me into home automation but their lack of support has led me to Vera3. I have asked a few questions on their forums and a customer support ticket and the answers I get are spot on, unlike Verizons employees who don't have a clue how to fix anything related to this. I love my FIOS, but so long Home Control. 

0 Likes
richm20
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've got to say, I was actually impressed with the home control support tech I got.

I should say that I think Verizon has by far THE WORST customer service I have ever seen. I had just under 4 hours of phone time trying to get my triple play package to work. Packages sent to my house for no reason, reps telling me things cost $ that are free, MIS information, the list goes on and on. I was actually trying to cancel the service at one point because I couldn't take the constant phone calls.

Anyway, I had a problem linking some 3rd party dimmers with my system. When I called, I explained the little bit of knowledge I had of the system and my total knowledge of the actual wiring of the dimmers. Instead of getting the standard "step by step" procedure that a rep reads off the screen, I got someone who skipped directly to the actual problem. He wasn't reading off a script, he know what he was talking about. It seems that because my dimmers were a buddy's, they were already linked to his system. I had to disassociate them with the old system and link them to mine. Phone call was under 5 min and problem was solved. VERY HAPPY with this side of Verizon.

0 Likes
mjr0483
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any issues connecting your Verizon purchased devices to a Vera 3? Does Verizon lockout their devices to other gateways?

0 Likes
bobh002
Contributor - Level 1

No issues.. Everything converted over fine. I did have an issue with my pan/tilt camera. Vera3 did not have the capability to pan it. I put in a servce ticket and in 2 days they wrote a program or did something to make it work and, get this. they even followed up with an email asking if everything was ok and how i liked my system since I was coming from another system.

Wow, follow up, a lesson that Verizon could learn. It's called customer 'service'. 

0 Likes
manish500

bobh002

have you noticed any limitations in the MiCasaVerde Vera3 system compared to verizon?  Do they also send text pop up alerts on your smartphone?  

What are the differences you've noticed in the 2 systems?

Thanks

0 Likes