Can I use my netgear GS116 switch with Verizon GT784WNV
dvally164

I have recently switched to Verizon and have an Actiontec GT784WNV wired/wireless gateway router. I have more than 4 wired computers that I want to use high speed internet with. 

There are 4 wired ports on the back of the unit. I am currently able to plug 4 PC's into the device and get internet on them. I tried plugging in my Netgear GS116 home switch and then plugging 2 of the PC's into the switch, and it seemed to work initially, but after a restart of the computers - none of them were able to get to the internet.

If I unplug the switch and reconnect 4 PC's to the device, after a restart the 4 PC's can again connect to the internet. So it would appear that I am not able to use a switch to connect PC's to the device.

I have tried looking at the web help, but have been unable to determine if using a switch with the Actiontec GT784WNV is a supported configuration.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Or is this something that is not going to work?

Thank you in advance for any help.

DV

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I use my netgear GS116 switch with Verizon GT784WNV
prisaz
Legend

I can find little to nothing on the  Verizon GT784WNV, much less a user manual. If you can log into the device at 192.168.1.1 and look at the LAN port status it may provide some clues. I have a GS-105 plugged into one of my LAN ports on my FiOS router which is not the same. Just be sure you are connecting The GS116 into a port marked LAN and not WAN.

If you go to the netgear support page and enter GS116 there are various areas for support that include firmware. DO NOT take this as any recommendation to make firmware or modifications to to switch. There are different models and also configuration tools. Use at your own risk.  http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/

0 Likes
jmcguoirk
Enthusiast - Level 3

In a nutshell... Yes. 

Separately, log into the GS116 and turn "OFF" DHCP. Goto settings and make the netgear an "ACCESS POINT". Now log out.

Connect the 2 routers using a cross-over cable.

Reboot the GS116.

The GT784WNV should assign a physical IP address to the GS116 and any IP addresses that connects to the GS116. To make life easier in the future you may want to assign a static IP address to the GS116. This is done in the GT84WNV. This will allow you to make changes/updates to the GS116. Typically the assigned static IP address to the "access point" is outside the range of the wireless DHCP for the main router.

Good luck.

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@jmcguoirk wrote:

... log into the GS116 and turn "OFF" DHCP. Goto settings and make the netgear an "ACCESS POINT". Now log out.

Connect the 2 routers using a cross-over cable ... Reboot the GS116 ... 

This is what I find for the Netgear GS116:

http://www.netgear.com/service-provider/products/switches/unmanaged-desktop-switches/GS116.aspx#

The device looks to be a switch, and I'm puzzled about how one logs into a switch.  I may be missing an important detail, but this device does not appear to be a router.

To the OP:  As mentioned by prisaz, make sure you are plugging into a LAN port on your router, not a WAN port.  Aside, here is a link to the captioned DSL router:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/cat_desc.php?fid=42

0 Likes