Confioguring a router to talk to a switch...
pc6638a
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a new Verizon supplied d-Link router/modem combo (model DSL-2750B) which is connected to a 24 port switch via an Ethernet cable.

I am able to connect to the internet using my wireless network.

I am able to connect to the internet if my laptop is connected to the router/modem with a Ethernet cable directly.

However, I can't connect to the internet if my laptop is connected to the switch.

It there a setting that needs to be in place on the d-link router/modem combo? any help is appreciated. .

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Configuring a router to talk to a switch...
prisaz
Legend

They call it a Wireless Gateway. If it was not 100% new, it may have had some strange things set in the firmware.

There are a number of configurations where you can even run it in bridge mode. Actually the manual says bridge in many places. So if it is running in bridge mode, there may be a limit on the number of IP addresses Verizon will issue. Check to see if your wireless devices are getting public addresses, or addresses private ones in the range of 192.168.1.x.

Also the Ethernet ports could have been disabled, or you have a bad device out of the box.

Pushing the reset button in for 10 seconds will reset everything back to the factory default values.

Verizon is famous for shipping items in a brown box with no manual.

Here is a link to the D-Link PDF, which provides alot of detail.

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Broadband/dsl2750B/Manual/DSL-2750B_Manual.pdf

View solution in original post

Re: Confioguring a router to talk to a switch...
doubleE
Enthusiast - Level 3

A switch should be transparent to your router. It should look to your router no different than if you had plugged the devices connected to your router into individual LAN ports on the router itself.

pc6638a
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your reply.  That's is what I thought....

Just to give you  additional info...

My original configuration was a westell modem (VZsupplied) connected to a D-link router (I purchased at best buy) connected to a switch - and the devices connected to he switch all have internet access.

Since the DSL westell modem was 11 years old, VZ sent me a new d-link modem/router combo and the problem started.

So, I am not sure what to do, per your reply, I thought the switch should work just fine. 

Again, thanks.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

They call it a Wireless Gateway. If it was not 100% new, it may have had some strange things set in the firmware.

There are a number of configurations where you can even run it in bridge mode. Actually the manual says bridge in many places. So if it is running in bridge mode, there may be a limit on the number of IP addresses Verizon will issue. Check to see if your wireless devices are getting public addresses, or addresses private ones in the range of 192.168.1.x.

Also the Ethernet ports could have been disabled, or you have a bad device out of the box.

Pushing the reset button in for 10 seconds will reset everything back to the factory default values.

Verizon is famous for shipping items in a brown box with no manual.

Here is a link to the D-Link PDF, which provides alot of detail.

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Broadband/dsl2750B/Manual/DSL-2750B_Manual.pdf

pc6638a
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks..

Let me  take a shot at your suggestions and post an update.

Really appreciate all the help.

0 Likes
pc6638a
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reset the modem/router and all is well now.  Thanks for your help.