Extending wifi signal range
RollingT
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a DVD player with wifi built in and have been streaming Netflix content with variable success.  Sometime it's fine but other times it stalls for rebuffering and other times it stops completely.  The signal strenght varies from one to two bars on the DVD indicator so I'm guessing that is the culprit.  So how can in increase the signal at the DVD player?  Will the 

NETGEAR WN2000RPT do the job?  How about something like 2.4G 16dbi Omni SMA WLAN Wireless W-Lan?

Please forgive the font differences caused by copying web site info.

Thanks!

Jim

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Extending wifi signal range
joeyhol75
Enthusiast - Level 2

The best thing to do would be to run an ethernet (cat5e, or cat6)line to the blu-ray and hard wire it with the LAN connection . Do you have a desktop computer? i.e. Does the router need to be where it currently is? If not you can hook up a 2 way split behind the tv where the blu-ray is. (So long as that doesnt add too much db loss to that location) Run one leg to the router and one to the set-top box. Having the router right at your entertainment system. That way you can plug in the blu-ray with a short patch cord. The last thing i would recommend would be to purchase your own router. One with a "N" wireless setup. (extended range). The problem with that is , you would need to teach yourself how to "piggyback" 2 routers on your local area network. You will not be able to remove the Actiontec router simply because the router you bought at the store cannot talk to the STB's in your house. Verizon's router uses Moca(multimedia over coaxl aplication),  a router in the store cannot hand out a   i.p. address over the coaxl wire. Some setting changes would need to be made to one of the routers. Both routers will more than likely have the same starting i.p.address of 192.168.1.1 . Which will cause collision on the network causing nothing to work. Good Luck.

0 Likes