FIOS Internet Coax WAN - Adding access
indyjonesva
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi!  I have a three level home with coax run to all three levels.  The middle level has a setup with a DVR cable box, LG 3D TV, LG BlueRay, and an ActionTec MI424WR coax wireless router.  The blueray is connected to the router via the Ethernet LAN port, which gives us access to Internet services like Netflix with a fast wired connection.

The top level has another Verizon DVR cable box (Cisco CHS 435HDC) connected to the coax.  I want to add this setup to the coax WAN network with a blueray, as well as a HP LaserJet printer (ethernet port only). 

I am an IT person experienced with routers.  For Ethernet WAN networks, one router handles access to all ports.  So is the coax WAN the same? I connected one computer to the Ethernet port on the back of the DVR on the top level, and it gets the IP of '169.x', so I am assuming that the box is not bridging to the Ethernet port.

What are the next steps?  Do I have to buy another coax router from Verizon, or can I buy one at a store (with coax and Ethernet ports)?

I dowloaded the manuals to both the box and router, and tried to log into the router's Mega ControlPanel with the default user name and password (admin/password).  I could not log on, so I am assuming the Verizon technician changed it without giving me the information.  I want to see what devices are showing up on the coax network.  Since I own the router, should I not have access?

Thanks for any help with this.

🙂
Sara

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet Coax WAN - Adding access
indyjonesva
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just saw another posting similar to mine.  A MoCA bridge is what was suggested.  I do have a 4-port Netgear switch for the Ethernet devices.  So is that all I need to get the coax to the MoCa to the Netgear?

Thanks,

Sara

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connecting to the STB does not work because that port is a "client" not a "switch" port like on a router.  But from what you describe you want to do -- which is essentially get that LAN portion of your network (which routes thru your ActionTec router and out to the internet) -- a MoCA bridge is exactly the solution you want.

This will connect to the Coax and use the MoCA LAN network to pair with the ActionTec router which will bridge the traffic onto the local LAN network and then out thru the NAT router in the ActionTec to the MoCA WAN side of the connection to the internet.  The other side of the MoCA bridge will be an ethernet port to which you can connect a single device or a switch such as your Netgear and then connect multiple ethernet based devices.

You will use a standard "splitter" at the location where the STB is located to allow connecting both the MoCA bridge and the STB to the same coax outlet.  Nothing special.

0 Likes
indyjonesva
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks!  I ordered an ActiveTec MoCa bridge this weekend.

I would still like to be able to log onto the ActiveTec router, but it seems the technician changed the standard username and password (admin/password).  Is there a standard username & password that Verizon uses?  I would prefer not to have to do a factory reset to be able to have access.  If I had to, is there an info sheet online with all the settings I would need to re-enter?

Thanks again.

🙂
Sara

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The default password for the router is now the serial number - found on the bottom of the router.  Search for "router password" on the forums in the internet section and you'll find numerous hits for this topic.

0 Likes
stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Defaults to get INTO  the router should be one of these below :

1) User Name= admin, Password=password

or

2) User Name= admin, Password=password1.

The only other non factory settings would may/have been done by the installer , so a full reset would be in order and the above combo's should get you in .

Ive never had a fios installer (or systerm upgrade) use anything but the above (but ya never know) .

After 8+ years with FIOS, we just had another full sytem upgrade (ONT and Actiontec N/GigabitE) for the 35/35 package and the default was choice #1 . Previous and current FIOS hardware at our location was always within the #1 or #2 choice , and nothing else . 

Side note : If you are lucky enough to have a system upgraded and the installer leaves your older Actiontec router ( like we have on this last upgrade ) , then you can also use the Actiontec routers as a Moca devise . I just did this , this week for my Panasonic Bluray ; and so far all is working great ( but I did have to buy a 2-way splitter to keep the STB and Moca connected at the same time)

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Incorrect  ... several months back in response to a set of malware attacks that used the knowledge that the default password was password or password1 to affect a DNS changer attack on ActionTec routers, Verizon stopped using those passwords and changed to using the serial number instead.   This piece of information is easy for Verizon (or the router to know) and easy for a customer with physical access to the device to obtain, but impossible for a piece of malware to calculate.

In fact, there was a whole dust up here on the forums about the fact that Verizon changed this password programatically for their customers who still had the old default passwords (causing a router reset in the process) and people complaining that Verizon was invading the privacy or violating some set of service terms -- which frankly was just a bunch of nonsense since they were acting to protect both the customer and their networks from the malware).

stereo55
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info , but in my case having the newer Actiontec N/GigabitE upgraded and installed about 10days ago ; the serial number was not used for the security , but the old standby "admin and password" ; so not all the routers have this update , unless others may have been done (w/ serial numbers) by the installer himself .   

Only stating this was found in my recent instance , and may not be the new rule of thumb .