FiOS Quantum Gateway Upgrade Problem
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello all,

I upgraded my router to the Quantum Gateway and received it today and hooked it up fine.  I upgraded because I couldn't get a WiFi signal for my phone/tablet on my back porch which is approximately 52 feet from my router.

After testing out the range just now, I'm still not getting the range that the new router claims which I think was over 300'. Not even close.

I walked my phone outside to about 75 feet from the router and the signal is so weak that it can't even connect my phone to the WiFi.

I'm not sure what to do and was wondering why I'm not getting even half the range that the router advertised.  

Can anyone offer any advice to get a better signal?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or assistance.  

Jeff - Poughkeepsie, NY

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: FiOS Quantum Gateway Upgrade Problem
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually my tablet without a dataplan seems to work okay.

My phone that does have a dataplan is not staying connected after about 60 feet.  

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will almost never get the advertised maximum range from any router.  That range is what you'd get in an open field with no other radio interference. Real life indoor range is impossible to predict as it depends on building construction and local radio interference.  No router manufacturer will guarantee any range, even two feet.

There are things you can do to improve range.  First, make sure your router is located as close as possible to the center of your desired coverage area.  Higher locations usually work better.  Try to locate it so there are as few walls as possible between the router and any favorite spots.  If you live in an old house with plaster lath walls, they are basically RF blockers and range will suck.

Once you've found the best available location, then it's time to work on selecting the right channel.  If you live in an area with neighbors who have WiFi, you'll want to find the least used channels and put your router on one of those.  A program called inSSIDer is a great tool for sniffing WiFi networks and finding good channels.  Be sure to check in several locations as the interference will vary significantly from place to place.

The Quantum router is a dual band device.  2.4GHz has better range than 5Ghz.  But, 2.4Ghz is more crowded.   If you setup the router to use different SSIDs for the different bands, you can easily switch between the two.

If you find you can't get the range you want from one router, you can always add access points to expand WiFi coverage.  Verizon sells a "network extender" that works very well.  It just plugs into any active coax port and duplicates the WiFi networks setup on the router.  No settings required.  The best place to buy one is here:

http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Good Luck.

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The 2.4 GHz has greater range and works through walls a little better. The 5 GHz  has a shorter range and does not penetrate through walls as well.

0 Likes
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the information.

I got the new router so I wouldn't have to move it to a central location.  I shouldn't have to anyway.  I'm not asking a whole lot out of the router...we're talking 52 feet and my phone's signal is so dead it can't connect the WiFi.  I live in a 2 bedroom, 1 floor apartment so it's not like I want WiFi three floors up or something.  It's 5 steps out my back door and there's no connection available.  

I'll keep ttrying to work on a solution.  If it were easy to move the router I would, but it's connected to my TV in my living room so I don't have a whole lot of options.  

I'm disappointed to say the least.  

I just don't understand why my tablet without a data plan works halfway up my street, but my cellphone with a data plan can't connect to my router after 52 feet.  

Thank you guys for replying.  I really appreciate it.  

Jeff

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jcl6543 wrote:
I just don't understand why my tablet without a data plan works halfway up my street, but my cellphone with a data plan can't connect to my router after 52 feet.  

The capabilities of WiFi devices vary  greatly.  Antenna design is hard to get right.  Different WiFi chips perform differently.  Devices with multiple radios (phones) have an even tougher design problem due to all the antennae crammed in a small space.  In short, it's not surprising that one device performs quite differently from another.

Is it possible your exterior walls are blocking RF?  Old plaster walls with wire mesh lath, modern metal studs or even foil backed house wrap can cause all sorts of WiFi issues.

There are other routers on the market that claim very strong signals.  You could try one.  Note that if you have FiOS TV, you'll need a Verizon router in the system if you have Verizon set top boxes.  The following link provides ideas on how to hook up routers to FiOS:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Enjoy.

0 Likes