MI424WR-GEN3I only getting G
theroys88

Hey guys,

Have been trying to solve this problem for the last few days. I recently upgraded my internet speed to 75/35.  It was recommended to upgrade to a N router which I purchased from Verizon. I have the router set to mixed and encryption to WPA2.  I am still only getting 54MBPS on all of my N compatible wireless devices and on my computers.  I called Verizon and they were not helpful and actually rude. They stated my router is fine and they do not support wireless issues on that router. They will not send a replacement and gave me Actiontec's number. Actiontec gave me a recording that they do not support this model and Verizon does. Anyone have any answers other then bridging to another router that actually sends a N signal. All six devices say link speed of 54MBPS. Speed test range from 10/4 to 18/9.  If I knew this I would of used the 79 dollars to get a nice router for bridging.  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: MI424WR-GEN3I only getting G
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it should be set for WPA2 AES by default, but if it's TKIP instead, then that would account for it.  Also If you have any wireless G devices in the mix, then the router drops down to accomodate those G Devices, and your solution would be to upgrade the G Devices to N capable devices. 

Why My Wireless Network Speed is Slow

Mixed Network (802.11b/g/n, 802.11b/g) – Let's check out this example: In an 802.11b/g/n mixed network, you can get good network speed by using 802.11n wireless adapter if connecting alone, however once an 802.11g or 802.11b user joined the network, your network connection speed may be slowed by half or more. Therefore, you are advised to use the wireless adapters that support same wireless standard (802.11n, 802.11g or 802.11b) on wireless network to have better wireless network performance, and at the same time you can configure wireless router to support particular wireless standard only.

0 Likes
theroys88

My post stated that it was set to WPA2 and that all devices are N compatable.  My tablet will increast to 65MBPS if it gets close enough to the router to get a full bar signal=excellent. Can someone who is familiar with this router give a solution other then bridging or calling Verizon's worthless tech support!  Thanks

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

your post did not indicate AES or TKIP

That is why I mentioned it.   TKIP will not do over 65,  AES will 

theroys88

Anyone have any solutions other then pointing out the obvious!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@theroys88 wrote:

Anyone have any solutions other then pointing out the obvious!

The obvious is that you have not replied with the information requested, if you won't do that, how do you expect people to help you? And one other point: the people here that can help you are other customers, if you want help you should at least make an attempt to be nice!

Now, to summarize what I found with my Rev. I: The router came with WPA2 set. I had to change the settings to AES encryption only, and choose the N Performance Mode option. Once I did that I was able to see 130 mbps speeds, at least at times.

Keep in mind this is not a dual band router, you will not get 300 mbps wireless speeds.

Keller, TX 76248

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@theroys88 wrote:

. pointing out the obvious!

Speaking of which, if you look elsewhere on this page you will encounter the word "community" more than once.  That's not a mistake.  It pretty much means what it says..

'Nuff said.

dynacomp2002
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had this exact same problem.  I have spent easily over 10 hours on this just trying to get above 65Mbps on any 802.11n device.  Verizon even shipped out a new MI424WR-gen3 rev. I because the tech I chatted with was stumped as well.

I have tried the obvious:

Set security to WPA2-AES

Set WiFi to 802.11n performance mode

Shut down all non-802.11n devices in the house (just to be sure)

I have multiple 802.11n devices (computer, tablet, smartphone, etc.) that I know perform above 100Mbps, yet not a single device ever goes above 65Mbps.

I am supposed to have 50/25 speeds, yet even when computers show 65Mbps, my WiFi speeds are atrocious: 13/17 (yes, upload is higher), but the wired is OK.  However, what's the point??? I can't have all my family wired to a box in the basement!

Has anybody gotten this thing to work as advertized?

sunilsocal

Hi,

I am in the same boat and wondering if you ever found a solution to your "G" problem??

0 Likes
ucliker

What firmware are you currently on?

0 Likes