MI424WR Rev.I Bridge with VOD setup
PhilBr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello, I recently signed up for FIOS and I am trying to setup my home network with the Verizon Actiontec router as bridge and my personal Netgear router as the primary. We are currently setup with a COAX connection from the ONT to the Actiontec router.

I used the following instructions here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17679150-Howto-make-ActionTec-MI424WR-a-network-bridge

to setup as a bridge, and all my computers now have access to the internet without problem. They are connected to my netgear router.

During the steps above I had configured my netgear router to have an IPaddress of 192.168.1.50 to avoid any conflicts and I set the DCHP range to begin at 192.168.1.110.

Then I found out my IMG and VOD is no longer working so I continued my research and found the following:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20006536-Make-your-actiontec-a-bridge-with-VOD-working-with-REV-D

To begin this new configuration I found, I connected my Netgear port 1 to Actiontec WAN, and kept Actiontec Port1 to Netgear WAN(working from earlier). I also connected a laptop to Actiontec Port2 (used to access the actiontec config) and I have a desktop connected to Netgear port2 (netgear config/how all the other pcs are going to be setup)

I started those steps from point 7) since I already had my internet working (first part just described what I had already done to get the internet to work)

All the steps above seemed to be working well, until I hit step 16), when I hit Apply, my actiontec dissapears from my laptop. I tried 192.168.1.1, no avail, only way to get it back is to reset the Actiontec router and they just apply the changes from the first instructions so atleast I have internet in the house.

Any advice/help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Phil

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: MI424WR Rev.I Bridge with VOD setup
bryguy231

Phil,

I'm wondering if you managed to successfully bridge the Rev I. MI424WR? I have the same model and unable to get the bridge mode to work. It seems all the guides online are for older models (Rev D, E, F) or will lose VOD functionality.

0 Likes
tomsliwowski

Phil,

I would also like to find out if you were able to configure your Revision I router as a bridge. I'm trying to do the same thing and also having no luck. I may have to run Cat 5 from the ONT to my home office which is not something I really want to be doing if there is another way.

Thanks,

-Tom

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think you need to use this FAQ instead of the links you were using.

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

0 Likes
Jedi2155

According to these guys, they're saying its impossible to remove the Network Bridge between the Ethernet/Coax / BroadBand (Coax) bridge on the Rev. I routers :(.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27464877-Bridging-on-MI424WR-Rev-I

I"m trying to do it I ended up with an inaccessible router as well. Kinda of annoying and it seems so far the only solution is option #2 but I want to avoid the double NATing involved in a double router configuration.

0 Likes
watice
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was able to get the Rev I. bridged, using option #7. And Remote DVR works, albeit very spotty, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. 

0 Likes
ttb1263
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you figured out how to make the MI424WR Rev. I bridged ? I just have FIOS installed today and needing to get it to work to use with my old router.  I have tried with the instruction for the early release of the ActionTec but it didn't work 😞

Thanks,

0 Likes
ttb1263
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi again,

I'm kinda tired of turning the Connection MI424WR Rev. I into a bridge after a few hours and couple calls to VZ to release the DHCP lease. Now, I turned off the wireless on the ActionTec and added my router (Asus RT66U) acts a secondary router with it's main purpose is to provide wireless for all my devices.  I do see the improvement with dl/ul from all the wireless devices and I'm happy with it for now.  Anybody has the working instruction to turn the ActionTech, please share. I would like to try it again to make the Asus router as a primary router.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
anonymouspest

As someone mentioned, the LAN channel/Coax bridge seems to be hardcoded into the firmware so you can't set up the second bridge. But you can use that...

I left the two sections checked under the bridge section. Didn't bother creating a new bridge as you can't. Then plugged one of the Actiontec LAN (not WAN - wasted a lot of time before I noticed that!) ports into a LAN port behind my own router*. VoD/Guides seem to work fine after rebooting my STB. Not sure about caller ID, but I don't use that.

Seems to work for me and my router is the primary.

*full detail: it's a sonicwall. I dedicated an interface to go back to the actiontec. Put it on a 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (distributes DHCP except .1). It also means I can connect to the Verizon router without having to plug anything else in.

EDIT: I think the issue with this setup is that my WAN port is effectively bridged into one of my LAN ports on my sonicwall.  So when the time comes for my WAN port to ask for a new IP address it will get one from its own LAN.  I'll keep an eye on this - I know I can just disconnect the LAN-LAN cable but that's a hassle.  Might try something with DHCP reservations and limiting my scope to just the STB...

0 Likes
Ron-Kat
Enthusiast - Level 1
I am trying to set up my vpn router with this. I have a eithernet / coax connection to the VZ router. I tried putting my vpn router behind the VZ router but it does not work for very long. I could login to it for a while then. Next morning it no longer reads as active on the VZ login and I can not access it directly. I need tohave my vpn router in front. Desperate! Has anyone made this work and still have TV work?
0 Likes