Newb looking for help with MoCA (Fios for Internet & TWC for cable)
theproman23
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently moved in to a new house and am setting up my home network, entertainment etc.

We have TWC for digital cable and FIOS for internet. Originally I was hoping to have the FIOS router placed by the living room TV so that I can have my NAS on the network along with the media player so I can stream movies to my living room TV which is also going to become the home entertainment area. Well unfortunatley the installer had issues and couldn't drill through the floor so he ended up installing the router and modem in the basement by the fuse box area, which is also the area the TWC cable comes into the house.

With the FIOS router being in the basement I had three choices:

1. Run an ethernet cable from the modem to the living room which would still mean that I can't really have a wired internet connection in other rooms which isn't very practical. I might still run a wired ethernet cable to the living room and use another option for the rest of the house to get a wired connection

2. Powerline: I've always used these but have been doing some research and found out the using the electrical infrastructure might not be the best way to transmit the internet signal

3. So, finally I found MoCA - This seemed to be the most ideal setup as I can use the exisitng Coax infrastructure and have a more viable solution for having a wired internet connection throughout the house.

I had bought a amplified coax splitter thinking that I could active all outlets in the house but then found out that MoCA and amplified splitter don't work well together. So, I did some research and found a solution online where I would use a Diplexer to split the cable line coming from TWC hook up a coax amplfiier to one output, then hookup the MoCA adapter to the other output and then splice the two (Amp Line and MoCA line) back together using another diplexer and then run that to the splitter and then to the rest of the house.

Now someone on AVSForums said that I probably don't need a MoCA adapter by the router since the router is already MoCA ready.

I'm a newb at this so I have no clue how that would work. Would I just use one Diplexer and splice the amplified TWC line and a coax from the router together and then use the splitter?

Also, someone recommended getting a MoCA ready splitter as the splitter I had purchased was capped at 1 GHZ. Is this something I should be considering?

Finally they also recommended a POE filter, is this really needed?

Thanks in advance!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Newb looking for help with MoCA (Fios for Internet & TWC for cable)
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

poe filter is not necessary with FIOS. A amplifier is not recommended (not usually two way) and amplification of the signals is rarely needed.

Splitters should be at least to 2 mhz and two way communication.

Ethernet to the router and other moca devices is not required.  If you have speeds of 100 or over then they normally will use ethernet to the router.

You can move the router to any other coax location if you have a good coax and splitters.  MOCA devices are available to convert to ethernet from a coax section.

theproman23
Enthusiast - Level 1

@tns_2 wrote:

poe filter is not necessary with FIOS. A amplifier is not recommended (not usually two way) and amplification of the signals is rarely needed.

Yeah the more I read up on this the clearer it became that I don't need one of these since FIOS already has built in capabilites which elimnate the need for a POE filter. Would it hurt to put one in regardless since I already ordered it and it's only 8 bucks? Also, in regards to the amplifier, I would have thought splitting the TWC signal in to 8 would require some sort of amplification no?

Just ordered a 8 way splitter with a range of 5 to 2400 mhz so that should take care of that

Ethernet to the router and other moca devices is not required.  If you have speeds of 100 or over then they normally will use ethernet to the router.

Not sure I understand what you're getting at here are you saying that I can use the COAX out on my Fios router and run that to the splitter and use Moca adapters wherever needed in the different rooms? Also, the package I have with verizon is 50/50 (I think that's 50 mps download and upload)

You can move the router to any other coax location if you have a good coax and splitters.  MOCA devices are available to convert to ethernet from a coax section.

Hmm, again a little confused here, how would I need to change my setup to be able to accomplish this? The modem or ONT (i think) is in the basement as the tech couldn't drill through the floor so the modem is there as well.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@theproman23 wrote:

@tns_2 wrote:

Yeah the more I read up on this the clearer it became that I don't need one of these since FIOS already has built in capabilites which elimnate the need for a POE filter. Would it hurt to put one in regardless since I already ordered it and it's only 8 bucks? Also, in regards to the amplifier, I would have thought splitting the TWC signal in to 8 would require some sort of amplification no?

Just ordered a 8 way splitter with a range of 5 to 2400 mhz so that should take care of that

Not sure I understand what you're getting at here are you saying that I can use the COAX out on my Fios router and run that to the splitter and use Moca adapters wherever needed in the different rooms? Also, the package I have with verizon is 50/50 (I think that's 50 mps download and upload)

The coax connection to the router is two way.  As long as your coax connects somewhere (in my case way back near the ont) with good two way splitters you can connect MOCA devices.  The verizon STB's all use moca to communicate to the router which then communicates to the ONT and the internet.  I am using an old Verizon router  and an additional splitter near one of my TVS to connect to some devices in one room.  There are also moca to ethernet devices (Verizon sells an Actionted one and you can find them elsewhere)

Hmm, again a little confused here, how would I need to change my setup to be able to accomplish this? The modem or ONT (i think) is in the basement as the tech couldn't drill through the floor so the modem is there as well.

Again if you have a coax onnection you can move the router.  It doesn't need to be near the ont.Many have it near where they usually use their computer.  some have it just in a central location so they can use the wireless connections.

The coiax connection to the router is two way.  you

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@theproman23 wrote:

You need to connect the in house coax that has your twc signal on it to the ONT then you can attach the router to anywhere that has a coax outlet.  Are you saying you have no coax wiring in the basement except the short run between the ONT and router?
0 Likes