Optimal Actiontec MI424WR router set up for Xbox Black Ops 2
deltapatch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Greetings Community,

I'm looking for some advanced guidance on my set up which is to optimize, competitive Black Ops 2 play on the Xbox 360.

I just had FIOS 150/65 internet installed at my house.  Just the internet.  The Fiber comes from the pole outside to the box in my house. From the Box in the house it follows a 20ft long CaT5e cable to the Actiontec MI424WR router.  From there it follows a 1ft CaT5e cable to the XBOX 360.

I have messed around with Port Forwarding, DMZ and both at the same time.  I have located the best DNS servers using namebench so I'm good there. I have followed some detailed explainations of QoS and MTU on some sites to prioritize and maximize the Xbox ahead of all other devices in the house.

After all of this, NAT is always OPEN but, I still get "Connection Interrupted" about 4 times an hour while playing multiplayer online.  (This is not due to people dashboarding)

Assistance would be great, thanks for your time,

-deltapatch

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Optimal Actiontec MI424WR router set up for Xbox Black Ops 2
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I know what the brand and model of your router is.

#2 What is the hardware version of that router?

0 Likes
deltapatch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for replying dslr,

Firmware Version:40.19.36
Model Name:MI424WR-GEN3I
Hardware Version:I

On the label underneath it says "Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I"

0 Likes
deltapatch
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should note that this began happening before I made any changes to the factory conditions of the router or xbox.  I should also add to my original post that I have turned therouters firewall to as low as it allows me. 

With the firmware "40.19.36" I have read that UPNP proxy settings are now nowhere to be found on the router:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Actiontec-MI424WR-DLNA-Problems/td-p/452389/page/6

Unfortunate, from what I've read this might solve my problem.  And as I search the net there are many other Fios customers with the same issue, looking on Xbox live forums, Actiontec forums, you name it.....

deltapatch

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

I believe, but haven't tested, that uPnP is now always active, ie you cannot turn it off.  I don't think that is the problem you are haveing witn XBOX.  Are you wireless?  This may be the problem that people previously could get around by turning off IGMP proxy, which is also missing in the latest version of the rev I software.

deltapatch
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm wired from the xbox to the router.  I have a laptop connected wirelessly.  No issues with the laptop. 

0 Likes
deltapatch
Enthusiast - Level 2
I started playing today and noticed about 15 minutes in my NAT went from Open to Moderate. I left it alone and proceeded to play without disconnects for 2 hours. Ill post again later if I get disconnected.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

deltapatch wrote:
I started playing today and noticed about 15 minutes in my NAT went from Open to Moderate. I left it alone and proceeded to play without disconnects for 2 hours. Ill post again later if I get disconnected.

I noticed this must be set for mine to work properly. I looks like it was set by upnp.

deltapatch
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply prisaz.  I have my xbox and router on default settings, and I have the same default settings that you posted.  During the day I only get disconnected every couple of hours, while I'm playing alone usually.  from 3pm until about 10pm (prime time) I get disconnected when playing with friends it seems once a game.

By disconnected I mean completely signed out of xbox live.  Is there anyone else having this problem? 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@deltapatch wrote:

Thanks for the reply prisaz.  I have my xbox and router on default settings, and I have the same default settings that you posted.  During the day I only get disconnected every couple of hours, while I'm playing alone usually.  from 3pm until about 10pm (prime time) I get disconnected when playing with friends it seems once a game.

By disconnected I mean completely signed out of xbox live.  Is there anyone else having this problem? 

I have the exact same router and firmware revision as you have, and never experience disconnects. I have the Xbox Gold Family not that it should matter, with no issue at 75/35.

Strange that you are having issues during prime time. Our area is all BPON and I can't get 150/65 service. Possibly you are hitting a bottle neck on something outside of Verizon's network or their control. It may even be the game server does not like our smoking fast Fios Speeds and chokes up at times when the game server is real busy. I am located in Maryland.

I just wanted to respond that other than your ONT and subscribed speeds, we have the same router and firmware. Also I am connected to the ONT with Ethernet, same as what would be required for 150/65.

I hope you get it resolved.

0 Likes