Prevent second router (guest-only) from accessing fios router
HomeGrown203
Enthusiast - Level 1

Fios Router: Model #: MI424WR (Rev F)

Second Router:  Netgear WGT624v2

I hid my SSID, used MAC filtering, and WPA2 on the FIOS router.  We get a lot of family and friends visiting and i added my old netgear to the FIOS that is visable and has WPA.

Everything is working perfectly except for one exception:  When logged on t the Netgear (192.168.0.XXX) the FIOS router admin page is accessable.  (192.168.1.1)

How I can prevent guest linked to the Netgear from accessing the FIOS router (192.168.1.1)

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Prevent second router (guest-only) from accessing fios router
HomeGrown203
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had previously blocked FIOS 192.168.1.1 from the Netgear, but how can i block it from the FIOS router?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The problem is you don't want to block access to 1.1 since it's doing the routing.

You may want to change the port used to connect to 192.168.1.1 from default port 80 to something else say 81 as an example.

Then when you wish to connect to the router you need to type http://192.168.1.1:81

To change this go to advanced, system settings then scroll to remote administration and change Primary Http mgmt port to something different.  

Primary HTTP Management Port:

I hope this helps.

0 Likes
HomeGrown203
Enthusiast - Level 1

If someone on the guest network were to type in http://192.168.1.1:81, couldn't they have access to it?

Both routers are running their own DHCP.   Can I block a range of IPs from admin access? Or block a certain subnet?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

yes they would be able to get to it.  But you have a password on it so it should be secure.  

I've never seen a configuration to prevent access to the router logon screen.

0 Likes
HomeGrown203
Enthusiast - Level 1

i changed the subnet on the guest router and block ip to 192.168.1.1.  but i would like to see if i could do something from the fios router side to prevent access.  

0 Likes