Two wireless connections
johnsoned
Enthusiast - Level 3

When my netbook connects wirelessly I see two connections, one is MYSSID (not my actual SSID) and the other one is MYSSID 2. I would like to get rid of the MYSSID 2 connection.  I have looked through all of the router settings in an attempt to delete or disable the extra connection with no success.

Desktop Computer Windows XP SP3

Netbook Computer Windows 7

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Two wireless connections
johnsoned
Enthusiast - Level 3

#3 Does your version of Windows have that?

Yes it does, and from that dialog box I was able to solve my "problem". Thank you for your help and your prompt replies, This forum is a great troubleshooting tool!

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are making us shoot into the dark.

Answer as many as you can:

#1 What is the brand and model of your router?

#2 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#3 What Wireless Manager are you using on your Netbook?

#4 On your Desktop, do you see the same SSID's OR only one?

0 Likes
johnsoned
Enthusiast - Level 3

#1 What is the brand and model of your router?: Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. D

#2 What is the brand and model of your modem?: The modem on my Desktop is a U. S. Robotics 56K Voice Host Int.

#3 What Wireless Manager are you using on your Netbook?: I don"t know where I would find this information.

#4 On your Desktop, do you see the same SSID's OR only one?: My desktop is connected to the router via ethernet cable, so I don't see SSIDs on my desktop.

I apologize for not being able to provide the definitive answers to all of the questions, but its the best I could do for now. Thanks for your response and I hope you can help me solve this problem (which I'm not actually sure is a problem).

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Go to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff802404.aspx

#2 Above the text that says

From the Manage Wireless Networks dialog box, you can add a new wireless network, remove a selected wireless network, obtain the properties of the wireless network adapter, and choose the type of profile to assign to new wireless networks (applies to all users or the current user).

is a screen shot.

johnsoned
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes it does, and from that dialog box I was able to solve my "problem". Thank you for your help and your prompt replies, This forum is a great troubleshooting tool!