how do I extend the wireless network to a computer without WIFI?
Kt4ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a MacPro without WIFI in an upstairs office. Can I use a wireless router to pick up my wireless signal and share it with my computer using an ethernet cable?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: how do I extend the wireless network to a computer without WIFI?
RobertsComputer
Enthusiast - Level 1

@Kt4ever wrote:

I have a MacPro without WIFI in an upstairs office. Can I use a wireless router to pick up my wireless signal and share it with my computer using an ethernet cable?

Yes you can, You can share files from one computer to another computer. I have a net drive and I have 7 computers and I can watch any move on any computer from that one net drive. And if you have WIFI you can even connect to the network wirelessly too. {edited for privacy}

There is plenty of things you can do with WIFI and your router. and you can connect pc's and mac's together. But just to let you know some files will not be able to read if your reading a pc from a mac.

RobertsComputer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm sorry I miss understood you , You can get a net exstender connect it to you mac and just put the password and network to the exstender then you will have a networked pc added to your router.

AlfredPoor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would think that the least expensive and easiest solution is to get a USB WiFi adapter for your Mac. You should be able to find one for about $20.

Routers are generally designed to have a wired connection to another router, and then provide wireless access from there, so I don't think that would be a workable solution.

Alfred Poor

Weekly Feature

prisaz
Legend

As mentioned you could use a USB wireless adapter. But if you really want to use your Ethernet, you would need a wireless bridge. I have a Hawking HWABN1 that can be connected to a single Ethernet device, or a switch that will provide multiple Ethernet connections to a remote location. It is a rather costly solution being it is a wireless N bridge and most Verizon routers do not have wireless N. But as a wireless access point it has replaced my Actiontec wireless.

Here is a Link with examples. There are other devices that may be a lower cost, but for receiving a wireless signal and converting it back to Ethernet, you would need a bridge. This is a Wireless to wired network device and would operate regardless if you were MAC or PC.

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=19&FamID=84&ProdID=395

But lowest cost option for you would be a MAC USB wireless adapter.

http://www.nextag.com/adapter-mac-usb-wireless/compare-html

0 Likes
sean_c_roberts
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes - use this: