Does Verizon still use actual wire/lines?
salamy1990

I am thinking about switching my home phone to Verizon from Comcast because whenever I lose electricity my phone doesn't work. (The backup battery from Comcast is useless.) Does Verizon still use old-fashioned, actual, physical phone wires? Or do they only use modems and battery backups for new subscribers?  Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Does Verizon still use actual wire/lines?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If FIOS is available in your area then there will be a battery backup giving you 6 hours of talk time. If its not available, then you will have a regular old fashion copper line. Check for FIOS availability here http://www22.verizon.com/home/shop/shopping.htm?CMP=BAC-SNTWTVZSHOP 

0 Likes
Re: Does Verizon still use actual wire/lines?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

I had a FiOS package installed recently, and I requested that the existing POTS (copper or "old fashioned") phone line service remain in place.  Although this caused some confusion initially, the techs were able to sort things out and fulfill my request.  They ported my old VoIP line over to FiOS, added FiOS TV and Internet, and left the existing POTS line (used for incoming fax and outgoing home security) in place.  They also did an outstanding custom wiring job and equipment install.  Good work, Verizon.

0 Likes