Landline clicks mid call. Cannot seem to resolve.
hall2037

First off, we have not added any new phones or changed the wire setup in the house.  We have landline with DSL (filters in place).

A few months ago, we called for service tech to visit to repair a loud crackling noise heard on the line to the point that you almost could not make a call at all.  They fixed this problem, but now plagued with another.

While on a phone call, about a minute into the call, you seem to hear a click and then about 15 seconds later, you hear the click again.  It is almost as if someone has picked up an extension phone in the house - but we know this is not what is happening.  I have had it happen while no one else is at home - yet we still hear the click and open noise and then another click.  The person you are calling can also hear this click.

Any suggestions?  The technician seems to think we are crazy.

0 Likes
Re: Landline clicks mid call. Cannot seem to resolve.
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of thoughts ... I am assuming it happens when calling different people so that the only common denominator here is your phone line?

One possibility is perhaps a particular station/phone is going bad?   Have you tried unplugging all of the phone in the house except for one and then making your call from that single phone?  

Do any of your phones support "voice mail waiting" indicators?  Try disconnecting those.  Some phones rely on the "studder tone" you here when you lift the receiver to determine of voicemail is waiting.  Perhaps a device is checking for the tone and injecting noise on the line.   

Have you taken a single phone out to the DMARK location where the phone service enters your house and disconnected the inside wiring and plugged your single phone into the DMARK port and tried your calls?   This would eliminate the inside wiring and any other devices as a source of the noise.

Lastly, are you using wireless handsets?   While most phones use a spread-spectrum and digital security key to keep others from jumping on your phone line, it could be that you somehow have encoutered a situation where someone has gotten a handset tied to your base station.   That's a pretty long stretch ... but again, removing any wireless handsets and base stations from the picture and testing should answer that question easy enough.

0 Likes
Re: Landline clicks mid call. Cannot seem to resolve.
philb00

I hads same exact type click  when  had Verizon convert over from copper wire

from pole into house  and had the FIOS  box installed.   Only thing  changed  really was  outside wire

from pole  to house  changed over to fiber and the   new fios box installed inside.

Called  verizon and    think repair service was  able  to fix  remotely   or maybe  tech came out again

But they  understood and  heard it too  and got it fixed pronto

0 Likes
intermittent clicks on phone line
histfic

Note: Can't reach Verizon repair service -- busy signal, then disconnect.

I'm getting intermittent loud clicking on my digital voice line. Sometimes it's so bad that I can't even make a call as the clicks interrupt the dialing process. Tried unplugging all phones and plugged in my old phone -- same problem. Verizon box -- all green lights. How do I get this repaired if repair line is not reachable???

0 Likes
Re: intermittent clicks on phone line
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Hi histfic,

Have you tried requesting a repair online here?  It's a good option when your phone isn't working.

Take care,

AnnieS

0 Likes
histfic

Yes, but I get:  
It looks like you are having a problem that the Verizon Troubleshooter can't help you fix. Your best option is to click the Live Chat option below if an agent is available. If not, then call Verizon customer service at 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966).

Live chat not avail in my area.

0 Likes
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Hi histfic,

Ok.  I'll escalate your phone issue so they can contact you another way except via phone.

AnnieS

0 Likes
histfic

many thanks

0 Likes
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

We sent you a message on our private support board to assist you and we did not receive a response.  Please repost the issue if you are still experiencing a problem so that we may assist you.  Tonya C.

0 Likes