2nd phone line
mutterz
Enthusiast - Level 3

About a week ago I ordered a 2nd phone line from verizon fios and it was to be setup today. When I log onto verizon I can see it there and listin to voicemails but when I go to my MutiLine phone on line 2 there is nothing. Is there something I need to do to make this work in my home? When I ordered it they said nobody needs to be home so I thought it would just work.

0 Likes
Re: 2nd phone line
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
Re: 2nd phone line
Poorfellow
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi mutterz,

You will need to connect the second pair of your home phone wiring to the FiOS 'box' (ONT).  If you look at the configuration of the wiring in the box now, you should see one pair of wires coming from your home connected.  This pair is most likely Red & Green or Blue & White.

Find the terminals in the FiOS ONT (the little plastic tabs you see your existing wires connecting) and pop them up to open them.  You can now insert the second pair of wire for Line 2.  The colors will be Yellow & Black or Orange & White.  Insert those wires into the terminals, and push them closed.  That new pair of wire will now be carrying your line 2, barring any service issues.

If all of your jacks are properly wired, you will be able to find both lines 1 and 2 using a two-line phone.  If your jacks aren't wired for two lines, you will repeat what you did at the FiOS ONT at each jack, connecting the formerly unused second pair of wire.

The reason I describe two color possibilities is that there was once an older standard for home internal wiring.  The older standard utilizes solid colors (Red & Green for the first line; Black & Yellow for the second).  The older standard gave way to the newer standard of solid color on one wire (Blue, for example) and broken color on the other (White, for example), representing a single matching pair of wire.

If your service still doesn't work, post back or call repair.  They'll get you going!

Thanks!

0 Likes