Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

911 only?

Beast
Contributor
Contributor

911 only?

Message 1 of 3
(10,557 Views)

I have a question pertaining to 911 service.  I canceled my Verizon landline, but I still have DSL through them.  I also have a cell phone.  Weren't there laws stating that 911 had to remain active on phones (both cell and landline), or do I have to pay Verizon $30 a month (their cheapest plan available to me) to have Enhanced 911?  I know my cell phone can still call 911, but it is not as good as the Enhanced 911 service available on a landline.

Thanks for the info!
2 REPLIES 2
zooky
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: 911 only?

Message 2 of 3
(10,510 Views)

@Beast wrote:

I have a question pertaining to 911 service.  I canceled my Verizon landline, but I still have DSL through them.  I also have a cell phone.  Weren't there laws stating that 911 had to remain active on phones (both cell and landline), or do I have to pay Verizon $30 a month (their cheapest plan available to me) to have Enhanced 911?  I know my cell phone can still call 911, but it is not as good as the Enhanced 911 service available on a landline.

Thanks for the info!

Does this imply that FioS phone DOESN'T have 911 unless you pay extra!!??!?!?!?

chartle
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Re: 911 only?

Message 3 of 3
(10,414 Views)

I don't think it pertained to landlines, even if it did you don't have a land line. 

You have a pair of wires coming to your house that are not connected to any phone service only a data service.  If what you say was true I should expect to hook up a phone to the extra line that used to come into my house when it was two families and dial 911. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title