ADT cannot seize phone line after fiber installation
Not applicable

I had my phone line switched over to fiber today and now my ADT system cannot "seize" the phone line.  It will call out properly but if you are in the middle a call and the alarm is activated it will not disconnect the current call in order to make it's own call out to the monitoring center.  Of couse this was working before.

I talked to the tech that installed the fiber and he said his only responsibilty to me was to provide me with a dial tone, period.  I also called Verizon tech support and talked to three different people who all told me it was ADT's problem.  So now I have to call ADT and incur a fee to have them come out and fix it.  So much for Verizon's promise to me that an upgrade to fiber would not cost anything.  

Is there anyone is this forum that may have experienced a similar problem?  Any help greately appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ADT cannot seize phone line - Some Further Possibilities
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@armond_in_nj wrote:
... Verizon Digital Voice (if that's what you have and it seems likely that's the case) is capable of using typical alarm system components to transmit alarm system data.  Usually the data is transmitted using what's called "Contact ID" data, and usually the connection between the alarm system and the telco lines is handled by a simple device called an RJ31X connector.  I suspect that's the case for ADT, but you must check that with your monitoring company ...

Some further thoughts on the issue.  Here's a link to demonstrate what's involved in the RJJ31x wiring scheme:

http://wiki.hometech.com/tiki-index.php?page=How+to+Wire+an+RJ31X+Jack

As you can see it appears little "hairy" and in fact there's really only one way to do it correctly.  Of course that's what alarm technicians are for, and there's no need for the average user to get into the details.

After thinking about this a while, it occurred to me that what has probably happened in your case is that the VZ install tech never went near your RJ31x connection.  He (or she) just did what a normal install requires and got things working.  However there are certain requirements for the alarm setup to operate correctly.

The RJ31x mustt be the first device in line after the phone line comes into the building.  In old terminology this means that it must be wired in directly after the NID (network interface device) where the phone company hooks up to your house.  In this way the alarm can take over the line for all phones downstream.

However with FiOS Digital Voice, this is probably not how your house was connected.  I.e., the install tech can connect to your interior phone wiring network at any point and still get all the phones to operate correctly.  What doesn't happen in such a case is the alarm is not able to control all the phones downstream, because some of the phones aren't really "downstream."

As convoluted as this seems, the way out is simple:  the alarm company must pay a visit and make sure that all your phones are connected (from the VZ ONT) after the RJ31x.  This should be pretty easy, and it's really on the alarm company to make it work.

Let us know what you decide and what happens (using your personal service ticket mentioned by Lawrence).  Once again, good luck.

View solution in original post

Re: ADT cannot seize phone line after fiber installation
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gr8Cats,

Please go to your profile page for the forum by clicking on your name, and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".  There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Gr8Cats wrote:

I had my phone line switched over to fiber today and now my ADT system cannot "seize" the phone line.  It will call out properly but if you are in the middle a call and the alarm is activated it will not disconnect the current call in order to make it's own call out to the monitoring center.  Of couse this was working before.

I talked to the tech that installed the fiber and he said his only responsibilty to me was to provide me with a dial tone, period.  I also called Verizon tech support and talked to three different people who all told me it was ADT's problem.  So now I have to call ADT and incur a fee to have them come out and fix it ...

In fact it really is Verizon's responsibility only to provide a working dial tone.  Anything that the user does to the line after that point is the responsibility of the user.  Such is life.

Having said that, I assure you that Verizon Digital Voice (if that's what you have and it seems likely that's the case) is capable of using typical alarm system components to transmit alarm system data.  Usually the data is transmitted using what's called "Contact ID" data, and usually the connection between the alarm system and the telco lines is handled by a simple device called an RJ31X connector.  I suspect that's the case for ADT, but you must check that with your monitoring company.

The first thing I would do is call ADT to ask them the same questions you've asked on this forum.  I have no experience with this company, but they're large enough to afford some sort of customer service support that will answer your questions.  Also, it would not surprise me if they offered to make a house call at no charge if your system is not performing according to specifications. Remember that companies like ADT make their money on monthly fees, not equipment, and they really do not want you to unsubscribe.  Simply ask that they drop by to check the system because you are not getting the results you expect.  You may be surprised at the result.

If worse comes to worst, I can provide wiring diagrams for the RJ31X and its associated devices, although ADT will probably be unhappy if you start rewiring what's essentially their equipment..  It gets a little hairy at times, but the concepts are simple and you will probably be able to check and fix any wiring issues on your own without too much stress.  Good luck and report back to let us know what develops.  You should make sure to use the suggested VZ contact that Lawrence mentioned so that everyone stays informed.

0 Likes
Re: ADT cannot seize phone line - Some Further Possibilities
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@armond_in_nj wrote:
... Verizon Digital Voice (if that's what you have and it seems likely that's the case) is capable of using typical alarm system components to transmit alarm system data.  Usually the data is transmitted using what's called "Contact ID" data, and usually the connection between the alarm system and the telco lines is handled by a simple device called an RJ31X connector.  I suspect that's the case for ADT, but you must check that with your monitoring company ...

Some further thoughts on the issue.  Here's a link to demonstrate what's involved in the RJJ31x wiring scheme:

http://wiki.hometech.com/tiki-index.php?page=How+to+Wire+an+RJ31X+Jack

As you can see it appears little "hairy" and in fact there's really only one way to do it correctly.  Of course that's what alarm technicians are for, and there's no need for the average user to get into the details.

After thinking about this a while, it occurred to me that what has probably happened in your case is that the VZ install tech never went near your RJ31x connection.  He (or she) just did what a normal install requires and got things working.  However there are certain requirements for the alarm setup to operate correctly.

The RJ31x mustt be the first device in line after the phone line comes into the building.  In old terminology this means that it must be wired in directly after the NID (network interface device) where the phone company hooks up to your house.  In this way the alarm can take over the line for all phones downstream.

However with FiOS Digital Voice, this is probably not how your house was connected.  I.e., the install tech can connect to your interior phone wiring network at any point and still get all the phones to operate correctly.  What doesn't happen in such a case is the alarm is not able to control all the phones downstream, because some of the phones aren't really "downstream."

As convoluted as this seems, the way out is simple:  the alarm company must pay a visit and make sure that all your phones are connected (from the VZ ONT) after the RJ31x.  This should be pretty easy, and it's really on the alarm company to make it work.

Let us know what you decide and what happens (using your personal service ticket mentioned by Lawrence).  Once again, good luck.

harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3

We had adt install a wireless network back their headquarters. It will cost an extra 15 a month for the wireless access but it will provide service even if the power goes out or the fiber is cut. Hope this helps : )

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@harley8004 wrote:

We had adt install a wireless network back their headquarters. It will cost an extra 15 a month for the wireless access but it will provide service even if the power goes out or the fiber is cut. Hope this helps : )

ADT's (and other security companies) now commonly offer these stations.   Really important for Snowbirds like my self as I suspend FIOS service when I fly away.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Gr8Cats,

Since we haven't heard back from you as requested in your private support case, it appears assistance is no longer required. Please make a new post anytime you need assistance.

- Joseph_Vz

0 Likes
Not applicable

Armond_in_NJ provided the resolution to the problem, and I marked his response above as the solution.  Thank you Armond!