Access code to make long distance call
yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3

My mother's landline is provided through Verizon for both her local calling and her long distance.  Today, she tried to make 2 long distance calls and got a message that she needed an "access code".  When she called Verizon's customer service, they told her that she was dropped from her long distance and she needs to call the business office on Monday.

Is this something that Verizon can just drop without notifying the customer or could it be a mistake somewhere in the system?  She never received anything to give her an access code, and we don't even know who (what company) is asking for this access code.

Any info that you can provide is appreciated!  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Access code to make long distance call
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem. We do care about our customers and we would like the opportunity to resolve any issues that you may be experiencing. We have sent you a PM.  Thanks Tonyad

View solution in original post

TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem. We do care about our customers and we would like the opportunity to resolve any issues that you may be experiencing. We have sent you a PM.  Thanks Tonyad

yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just wanted to let you know that my mom and I both appreciate all the time you spent in researching this!  Thanks again for all your help!  🙂 

daletheman

I am a service coordinator at a home for Seniors and a number of the residents have switched to Verizon Lifeline and cannot make long distance calls to family.  They need an access code which I obtained for each of them.  Now they need to know how to use them!!!   How do you use the access codes????  Thanks for your time in answering this request.  ngd

0 Likes
Re: Access code to making a call
klaymfdm

So I just got version home phone and internet. Internet is working great except for when I call out on my phone it asks me to put in an access code. I'm pretty sure I can call anywhere in the U.S. I don't know why It's asking for an access code. I can't make outgoing calls. HELP!

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just wanted to let you know that when we had this problem it was easily fixed.  What happened was there was a code that at one time NJ used to call the Philadelphia area at a cheaper rate (not sure exactly what it was but it was like 10-10-NJB or something like that).  You were always able to use either that code or just dial the number directly 1-215-xxx-xxxx or 1-610-xxx-xxxx (the normal way to call someone) and both ways worked.  For some reason instead of the regular calling plan we were always on, we were switched to a different one.   So we were unable to use the direct calling method of 1-215-xxx-xxxx (the normal way to call someone) and it kept giving us an error for the "code".  The person I spoke to figured this out and switched us back to the regular plan that we had.  They were unsure as to what happened and we just figured it was "glitch" in the system.  

Not sure if you ever had a discount code in your area like that, but it could be a reason for that error if you are trying to dial the regular number.  Hope this helps. 

0 Likes
silkie15

Do I have a pin number if so, what is it to make long distance calls on my landline?

0 Likes
leftblank15
Enthusiast - Level 2

A cheap access-code to call Southern NJ from SouthEast Pennsylvania is to precede the number with "10-10-BPA" (this is known as "Jersey Link") -- you may have to dial a "1" after that, before the area-code of the number you are trying to reach.

Another out-of-state, or out-of-country (except Canada) access code is to use another carrier with the "10-10-288" access-code (somewhat expensive), but, don't use this for in-state calls, or it will cost you a boatload !

( In-state calls, you might try the "10-16-963" [???], (or, is it "10-16-369" [???] ) access-code ).

To avoid access-codes, altogether, you could sign-up for an "Unlimited Long-Distance" plan with Verizon, which gives you unlimited calling within the U.S., or to Canada, but that is expensive (without discounts, about $65 per month).

You should STILL be getting to make toll-free-calls without an access-code (numbers beginning with 1-800,  1-888, 1-877, 1-866, 1-855, etc. ).

0 Likes
Oldperson88

The support page does not cover this issue, no one is manning chat and i can't even make a call back appointment until Monday.

0 Likes