Analog Telephone Line?
Sneon
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is our Verizon telephone LINE digital or analog?  I am somewhat confused because our telephones, themselves, are called 5.8 digitals.  My husband has a severe hearing deficit that grows worse with each passing year.  He is now 82.  I have read about CAPTEL which is a telephone captioning system that would probably be beneficial.  It can only be used with an analog telephone line.  That's my dilemma; hope someone can help.  It would be a dandy Christmas gift.

Sneon  (I have tried calling Verizon and NONE of the reps have been able to help.)                                   

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Analog Telephone Line?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
If your telephone is on a copper pair straight from the Verizon Central Office to your house you are on an analog phone line.
JohnGuitar
Enthusiast - Level 2
Sneon, if you are on FIOS then you would be considerd Digital.  But if you are on copper then you have nothing to worry about.
Sneon
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks so much for your assist.  We have NO FIOS so I shall order the captioning devise.  Happy Thanksgiving.
0 Likes
Sneon
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for your reply.  Not so sure about the "copper wire pair".  Will try the business department of Verizon.  Appreciate your help.
0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

The vast majority of residential customers have analog service. If you have FIOS service, than you have digital telephone service.

It is remotely possible to have a copper pair, and digital service. This is ISDN, however it is expensive, and is an alternative to DSL in places DSL is not available.

ISDN is a tariffed service, which means if you order it, Verizon has to provide it (unlike DSL, or FIOS, if you aren't in a DSL or FIOS area, Verizon doesn't have to provide it).

ISDN is considerably more expensive than DSL for lower performance, and unlike DSL, it is also metered. The good news is you get two phone lines for the price of one. Basic ISDN service provides two 64kbps channels, and a control or administrative channel at 16kbs. You need special digital telephones for ISDN, since it is digital end to end.

Sneon
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are a dear to respond.  Thank you, Matthew.

Sneon

0 Likes