Anyone else being billed for information calls you don't make.
Chaka2
0 Likes
Re: Anyone else being billed for information calls you don't make.
VZ_Ron
Contributor - Level 2

Hello Chaka, do you live alone because someone else in the house could have made the call for information.

0 Likes
shagg1

"oh I neeeever make 411 calls. That MUST be a mistake"

Meanwhile, kids in the household are making 411 calls and dialing 900 adult lines.

0 Likes
carizzma87

I am having this same problem for the past 4 billing cycles.  Verizon assures me the line was checked and it is fine.  I doubt this.  About 50% of the time I don't even have a dialtone on my line.    When I first started up service, Verizon had someone elses name and phone number associated with my address. This person had just started service a week before I did. Obviously there is something amiss. They refuse to refund me the charges saying the call is being made from my  line.  Funny, since I live by myself and have no visitors, and am not even home myself when the 411 calls are being made. It  

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Suggestion ... when you leave the house, remove the handset from the cradle of one of your phones in a non-conspicious location (like maybe the bedroom) and leave it off the hook.   This will cause the phone to put out the blairing signal for a minute or two letting you know it's off the hook, but it will stop eventually.   

Be sure you do this every time you leave.

See if the calls to information stop.   If they don't then let Verizon know what you did and see what they have to say.  If the calls do stop, then do you live in an apartment building  or a single dwelling house?   If you're in an apartment building, it sounds like you and a neighbor may have their lines cross connect and you may want to check that out.

Also ... exactly what do the "information" charges say?   There are some third party phone crammers out there that make their charges looking like directory assistance calls but are actually a scam service.   If you see a contact number listed next to the charge, you need to call that and tell them to cease and desist all charges and if it continues, let Verizon know and ask for a block to be placed on "third party billing".

0 Likes
carizzma87

Thanks for the suggestion.  I think I will just unplug the phone, since I don't use it anyway.  The only reason I have the service is for the wireless.  I live in a single-dwelling home.  Verizon said they had someone out to check  the line for crossed wires and reportedly everything was fine.  Somehow I don't think everything is fine. The calls do come up as Directory assitance on my bill.

0 Likes