Area Code Required for Local Calls
MikeJo1

I live in So. Calif. Starting this morning, I have to enter the area code for local calls. Why the switch and how do I correct it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Area Code Required for Local Calls
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

All VZ digital voice calls require 10 digit dialing.  I'm surprised you didnt have to start doing this from the beginning.  Its the wave of future.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MikeJo1

Note: I live in area code 909.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Do you have landline phone (old copper) or do you have Digital Voice? 

0 Likes
MikeT
Contributor - Level 1

I have been doing this for at least the past six years in Northern Virginia.  Southern Virginia does not have to dial area codes.  I think it has something with all the additional area codes and cell phones.  I am also in the habit of dialing 1 for all calls, local or long distance.  The phone company says that even if you dial 1 you will not be billed long distance charges.  It does not matter to me as I am on one of those unlimited phone plans.

Mike T.

0 Likes
MikeJo1

Digital voice.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

All VZ digital voice calls require 10 digit dialing.  I'm surprised you didnt have to start doing this from the beginning.  Its the wave of future.

0 Likes
MikeJo1

Verizon just switched it to Digital when they combined my different services. Hence, it was "new" to me. Thanks!

0 Likes
cwa10711
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Funny, Comcast seems to have sorted this out with their Digital Voice service.  One would think that a phone company like Verizon could at least match their service level, even if it is VoIP.

We use Nortel VoIP phones at work as well - oddly enough, they have no need to dial 10-digits when dialing a local number. 

Someone tell me that there is more to it than simple apathy on the part of VZ.

0 Likes
GRANDPAGARY

I had Verizon triple play before and was not required to use the area code to call out........WHY THE CHANGE???????

I almost never call out my my area code....why create a problem.....obviously, you have the software to make it simpler for your customers/COMCAST DOES!!!!

GET WITH IT!!!!

0 Likes
ChristSavesU2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I switched from Vonage to Verizon Digital Voice recently because it was cheaper.  Vonage has had 7 digit dialing for years.  Verizon obviously knows when someone dials only 7 digits because it plays a recording telling you to dial the area code.  It could easily be programmed to insert your local area code instead of playing the recording.  Verizon just doesn't seem to be up to date.

0 Likes